March 28, 2024, 04:28:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: actual yield is way off  (Read 4766 times)

Offline jjwill2000

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
actual yield is way off
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:44:13 AM »
Hello,

Can someone help with why my actual yield is so far off?

I combined .00813g of Mg ribbon with excess HCL and that produced 17mL of H2 gas.

Theoretically, I should have gotten 7.48 mL.

Mg + 2HCl --> H2 + MgCl2

I didn't run this reaction at STP .. but that should only account for less than 20% of the error.  I double checked the mass.  Can anyone see something obvious that I'm missing???

Thanks,
Josh

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: actual yield is way off
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 01:45:35 PM »
Nothing obvious, 7.5 mL should it be.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 04:13:18 AM »
how did you collect the H2?  Are you sure that all the 17 ml was H2 and not H2 mixed with air?
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline jjwill2000

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 09:57:38 AM »
Nope . no air was allowed in.  I used a graduated cylinder and all of the gas was from bubbles produced from this reaction.  I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm off by soooo much.

Josh

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:23:20 AM »
OK - clutching at straws now then  -  but how smooth is the plunger action in the gas collector?  Could it be a bit sticky, causing the pressure to build -  the plunger might then 'spring' out past the correct point and then stick there before drawing back under the reduced pressure..  ???
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline jjwill2000

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:36:09 PM »
In typing a response, I think I just figured out my problem.  I forgot to adjust the height of the liquid in the graduated cylinder with the height of the liquid in the beaker . thus equalizing the gas pressure in the cylinder with the atmospheric pressure outside the cylinder!  When I measured the volume of gas collected, the level of the liquid in the cylinder was much higher than the level of water in the beaker.  Man . I spent several days really confused . because of a stupid mistake.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:02:51 PM »
Mistakes happen, sometimes they are good actually. But that is why you write down and diagram everything you do in a lab! So you can figure out what went wrong later!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »
In typing a response, I think I just figured out my problem.  I forgot to adjust the height of the liquid in the graduated cylinder with the height of the liquid in the beaker . thus equalizing the gas pressure in the cylinder with the atmospheric pressure outside the cylinder!  When I measured the volume of gas collected, the level of the liquid in the cylinder was much higher than the level of water in the beaker.  Man . I spent several days really confused . because of a stupid mistake.

That's not it. To get that large difference in volumes you will need much larger difference in pressures that you can get with half meter of water - and I doubt the difference between beaker and cylinder was that much.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links