April 29, 2024, 06:28:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrogen Bromide + Phenylethene (Styrene)  (Read 11478 times)

Offline Bridiewms

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hydrogen Bromide + Phenylethene (Styrene)
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:25:20 AM »
After reacting HBr and Styrene together we sent the product off so that we could look at the results and see which isomer was produced. (1-bromoethyl)benzene was produced. I think the method used to find this result was an IR test or something?

I need to find 3 method that could have also been used to distinguish the possible products?

I also need to no why we added sodium carbonate to the reaction mixture after the addition was complete? I know its something to do with making the solution alkaline instead of acid but why??

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Hydrogen Bromide + Phenylethene (Styrene)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 06:59:20 AM »
#1, what other identification methods do you know?

#2, just to kill the reactions so the reactive reagents won't continue to be reactive after the reaction is over.  We call it quenching the reaction.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Bridiewms

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:09:38 AM »
Thanks, I thought question 2 was something along those lines I just wasnt sure :)

Umm well we havent actually learnt any on the course but I've put down Raman Spectroscopy and IR testing as they both identify the molecule that would be produced??

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:59:12 AM »
You haven't learned any other structural determination methods?  not even in your lecture class? 
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Bridiewms

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 08:39:18 AM »
No...I didnt do chemistry A level or anything and the lectures are nothing to do with determining structure method. Its just one of the questions for the report I have to write for the practical. I have tried looking on the internet but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for and whether the methods I find are actually right.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 09:36:17 AM »
The method you use will likely depend on whether you have a known standard against which you can compare your unknown product.  If Google doesn't help (try organic spectroscopy or organic chemistry structure elucidation), then I'd suggest talking to your TA or lab prof.  If you haven't learned about it in lecture or lab, then there must be some reason you are expected to know the answer.  Your instructor will know that reason better than I will.

Sponsored Links