March 29, 2024, 05:39:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: where with chemistry???  (Read 9810 times)

Offline aura_13

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
where with chemistry???
« on: December 18, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
hi ppl...

i am fst yr student,doing my integrated Msc.Chemistry(and a BE degree which will be decided nxt yr.....DUAL DEGREE SCHEME)...

i just wanted to know how should i proceed, i mean wat are the different fields of chemistry apart from conventional organic,inorganic ones..
i am personally very interested in doing mineral sciences,something related to astronomy n cosmology(iff possible),alternate fuels,energy resources.....i mean different n new fields where i can APPLY my chemistry knowledge rather than discovering new thngs n conventional manner...

also,as i am to do an engineering also,which BE degree can benifit me most,apart from chemical engineerin....wat abt mechanical??

wat is the role of chemistry in nano sciences??

n as a fst yr student,is there anything i can do..i mean projects,etc??

Offline Telamond

• Mole Snacks: +6/-0
Re: where with chemistry???
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 02:16:46 PM »
Please post what you just wrote in written english.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 03:01:40 PM »
I was going to say just what Telamond:  said, that you should invest in a Strunk and White's style manual first, then get into advanced chemistry.  Very few people in the working world enjoy reading documents written in 'leet'.

That said, if you really want practical experience, you should definitely search out your university's internship or work-placement program.  They'll have more specific ideas about where and how you can find positions.

Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline aura_13

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 11:47:40 PM »
sorry i ain't getting it....?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 12:04:23 AM by aura_13 »

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 11:58:42 PM »
"Please post what you just wrote in written english."

sorry i ain't getting it....?

They mean that you are not typing out your sentences in a full and complete manner.  You are using short-hand and it's hard to understand what you are asking.  So they are asking you to retype your question and use full sentences so your question is clear.

Offline aura_13

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 12:11:50 AM »
I am a first year student doing my Masters in Chemistry(Integrated Course).I am also enrolled in a dual degree scheme under which i will also be doing a BE degree next year onwards.

I just wanted to know what are good dual degree options I have,I mean what is the best-suited BE-MSc combination i can have.I just don't want to do all the conventional chemistry stuff,i mean i want to go for newer fields of chemistry where I can apply my engineering knowledge too.

I wanted to know more about those 'science' or 'technology' areas where we have applied chemistry,like astronomy,where we hav to apply spectroscopy knowledge, etc.

I hope this time it is better.
I am sorry for previous post.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 12:28:07 AM »
It is night and day, and I understand what you want perfectly, thank you!

So, do you have a bachelors in chemistry, or is the masters program integrated and you graduate your school with both a bachelors and a masters?

In terms of what types of things can apply chemistry, there is a lot of chemistry involved in circuits and computer chips.  I attended a really interesting lecture from a chemist who works at Intel.  He talked about all about the chemistry involved in the fabrication and new methodologies that being designed to increase circuit performance.

However, exactly what another poster said in a different thread, chemistry truly is a central science.  It is involved in almost area of industry imaginable, and chemicals and chemist are needed for all of those.

If that's something that interests you, possibly Electrical or Computer Engineering?  If you are interested in processes and manufacturing in automotive or other "bigger" fields (assuming computer circuits are "small"), maybe something like mechanical?

It really depends on what integrated type of chemistry you want to do when you graduate.  Think about that first, and then decide what engineering will fit best.  Or if you don't know, then maybe you want to approach it from what engineering you would enjoy the most, and find a job that suits it.

Offline aura_13

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 05:23:09 AM »
Thanks for replying,it clears lots of doubts.

I am doing an integrated Msc course.

Chemistry in Electronics!!!
Its really very interesting;but I am more inclined towards astronomical sciences.
What's the chemistry involved there?

What about mechanical engineering??I like designing stuff,and am quite interested in robotics(only mechanical stuff,not circuits).What else can be done with chemistry in mechanical engineering??

How's chemical engineering different from chemistry??Isn't it involves few chemistry and few mechanical courses??

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
Thanks for replying,it clears lots of doubts.

I am doing an integrated Msc course.

Chemistry in Electronics!!!
Its really very interesting;but I am more inclined towards astronomical sciences.
What's the chemistry involved there?
There is tons of chemistry in the astronomical sciences.  Current space missions that go up use spectroscopic techniques to analyze compositions of atmospheres to determine what chemicals are present.  There is also research regarding what different species can be made in space, and the like, it is some very fascinating stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrochemistry
What about mechanical engineering??I like designing stuff,and am quite interested in robotics(only mechanical stuff,not circuits).What else can be done with chemistry in mechanical engineering??
I'll be honest, off of the top of my head, I am struggling to come up with a job that strongly integrates mechanical engineering and chemistry.  I'm sure there's one out there, and as soon as someone else mentions it, I'll slap my head and say "doh" ;).
How's chemical engineering different from chemistry??Isn't it involves few chemistry and few mechanical courses??
Chemical engineering is usually more about processes, and large-scale ups for companies.  We do have some chemical engineers around here, so hopefully they'll be able to jump in and shed some light on what they do in their jobs.

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 08:42:17 AM »
"How's chemical engineering different from chemistry??Isn't it involves few chemistry and few mechanical courses??"

That is insulting to me, LOL.  I didn't have many mechanical courses, I wish I did. 

I look at the two degrees like this:  Chemists work on more of a small scale.  Chemical Engineers on a large scale.  Both need each other to manufacture a product.  Obviously, this is not 100% true all the time.

I think you should do a CO-OP or internship to get some valuable experience.

Sponsored Links