April 29, 2024, 11:00:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: More Graduate School Questions  (Read 6372 times)

Offline Cheemistree8889

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
More Graduate School Questions
« on: December 14, 2008, 12:55:18 AM »
Hi all,

This is going to sound like one of those match-maker shows but here it goes...

GPA- 3.1 (from a prestigious liberal arts college)
GRE- 500 V 550 Q
Quite a bit of research experience (2 internships and worked in a lab for 2 quarters) but no publications...
I've been a TA for a few quarters
Strong letters of recommendation

My GPA is only low because of my first 2 quarters (my college is still on the ole quarter system although we only have 3 a year....sort of like short trimesters)
Without those quarters I would have a 3.6...

I'm applying to:
Princeton
UCSB
Purdue
U of M
Boston College
IU
CSU

I would like to do natural product synthesis or synthesis of models for active sites of proteins.  My GPA and GRE scores just make me nervous.  Does anyone have thoughts on my chances?  I will most likely get a publication or two but they would be later in the year, after the admission decisions.  I just really want to be doing science in a lab next year...novel chemistry.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: More Graduate School Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 05:46:31 PM »
You should be all right from the schools you listed. This then implies you need strong letters of recommendation and a very good personal statement.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Missthelab

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 04:40:26 PM »
Is there any way you can re-take the GRE?  I had a GPA similar to yours, but with high GRE scores was able to go where I wanted.  It might be worth the time and money to do some prep work and re-take it.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 04:25:03 PM »
You can take the GRE I believe up to 5 times a year.  HOWEVER!!!! (yes, this is a big however), GRE reports every score you submit, so do your best in as few tries as possible, because schools will see every score you get.  The worst thing to look like is someone who just keeps taking in it hopes of a higher score.

Also, keep in mind, if you feel you did poorly on the GRE, you can elect to not have the scores reported, and it will be as if they threw out your exam right after you took it, no one will know.

Offline Cheemistree8889

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »
Thank you for the responses.  I actually got a 520 V and 600 Q, which isn't much different from what I stated (I merely guessed at what I would get).  I'm quite interested in CSU, University of Michigan and Boston College, although the organic at UM is looking less synthetic without Roush and Vedejs (sp?) there.  I will retake the GRE and study for it if I don't get into the programs I would like to.  We'll see how everything turns out.  Thanks again.

Sponsored Links