April 26, 2024, 03:53:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do you get a job, seriously how  (Read 15052 times)

Offline Disappointed

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
How do you get a job, seriously how
« on: December 19, 2008, 08:47:27 PM »
No, seriously
How do you get a job in the field of chemistry

{oh, I didn't see any place about work}

I once loved chemistry
now I hate it
over 6 months searching for a job

I see no possible way
I've tried everything
I've offered to work for free
I never have enough experience

I'm leaning towards taking the actuary exam just because it pays so well
it seems like the only way I will ever be a chemist is to fund my own personal lab
so, in order to study chemistry, I have to study something completely different

why is in so extremely impossible to get a job in this greedy field
I'm offering my work for free
I'm offering to do anything
I'll clean the bathrooms
why is this field closed off

how did anyone get a job

I'd also like to really really REALLY stress to all students
either switch majors or double major
I have other good degrees which I will have to try and use
but I am serious
you will never find a job
you can have a PhD. It doesn't matter
the field of chemistry is closed
I might have been born yesterday, sir
but I stayed up all night

Offline kimiagar501

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How do you get a job, seriously how
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 08:53:26 PM »
hi
okay
i sorry for you
what is your country???

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 10:32:29 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how many degrees do you have?  Do you have just a BS in chemistry?  Anything more?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 01:55:05 AM »
Maybe your resume sucks. Or maybe it is just the economy. But a degree in Chemistry is the most marketable degree for a job. It is used all over the world for virtually every types of business. There is a reason it is called the central science.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 01:40:38 PM »

how did anyone get a job

OK, I'll tell you my story, you twisted my arm enough.  ;D

My first job was a college internship at Waters Chromatography.  It was a great learning experience, I got to take a semester off from classes, I gained practical experience, I had people in industry to use as references for my next job, etc.  Have you investigated the resources available at your university for doing that.  You're out of school now, but they may be connected with your university's placement program.

My first job after college I found in the newspaper, in the want ads.  No one does that much anymore, but if you've had poor fortune so far, it may be time for you to try that, you may find technical positions in the newspaper.

What chemical companies are nearby?   I've been paying attention to the local news, and I'm still surprised from time to time, at what companies are nearby.  When you find them, you can stop in, and ask for available positions, or look for their website.

On that subject, what positions have you found on the web?  There are many sources here, you can search a company's website for places to post your resume, or try job finding websites like Monster.com or Careerbuilder.com.  I was out of work for a while now, but I'm working again, and I'm still getting job results.  Which I now file, for later, just in case.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:59:06 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Disappointed

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 01:49:03 PM »
Maybe your resume sucks. Or maybe it is just the economy. But a degree in Chemistry is the most marketable degree for a job. It is used all over the world for virtually every types of business. There is a reason it is called the central science.

I am beginning to believe my resume probably does suck but I know the lack of experience, that is impossible to achieve, is huge.
It looks extremely lame to me but I paid the lady and assumed she knows what she's doing.  My friend used her and got his first job he applied to immediately granted it was a different area completely and though he is a moron, he also served in the marines.

I look around the country and my area is huge in this field relative to the rest
If I can't find a job here that reduces my chance nation wide to nothing

The most marketable degree?
 ::) please
spare me the propaganda

I don't see a better section
I just want to know how any working chemist got their jobs
(and maybe if nepotism had any role in it ;) )

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »
*Sorry for re-edits and re-replys--dealing with timeouts*

On that subject, this board does have a job sub-board.  The nice lady (well, I thought she was nice) who was flooding that board with positions is not posting anymore.  But the old posts are still there, and the companies are likely still hiring for other positions, you can see what you can find at their websites.

If it seems like no one is willing to take a chance on you, you might try a placement agency, for a contract position.  That's what I'm doing now.  It's not the best method, in terms of job security, pay, and benefits -- buit it is, of course, better than nothing, and you will get to meet people, who may offer you help in the future.  Even if the contracting company don't buy out your contract with the agency, which, in my experience, they often do.

What was your favorite class?  Who was the best, friendliest instructor you ever had?  Maybe they would be willing to help you.  They may have friends in industry, who would be willing to take a chance on you.

And post your resume here in this thread. Cut out personal info, for your own security, please.  And lets see it, how it's formatted, and what your qualifications are.

Offline Missthelab

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 02:17:21 PM »
I am really good at putting together and editing technical/science-oriented resumes, so yes - please let us see what you have. 

I was honestly quite fortunate to get my first job out of grad school through a technical recruiter.  I will say that the economy has changed and outsourcing and technology changing has made it hard for folks in this field int he US to get jobs, especially if you have no experienceor your experience is not deemed relvant by the HR person who has no idea about how scientific principles and the value of your education and experience don't change, just because you worked in a different segment of the chemical industry (sigh).

I have apretty good recruiter's name if you would like it - he may be able to help you find work.  I imagine you will need to be willing to relocate though, possibly at your own expense in this economy.  I have found in this field, I never get to stay in the same place for long when I am working or looking for work.  I am a SAHM now, andd I doubt i will be able to get back into the field without obtaining another degree (completing my PhD maybe), because the industry is quite conservative and views time out of work as a bad thing, no matter the reason.

Offline Disappointed

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 02:42:13 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how many degrees do you have?  Do you have just a BS in chemistry?  Anything more?

B.S. Professional Chemistry, I minored in Biochem but later it wasn't acknowledged because Professional Chem included almost all of it anyway
B.S. Mathematics.   8) the only thing that is pure, honest and real 
minor Actuarial Science
I wish I had just majored in accounting because it's easy and definitely in the highest demand
but all you have to do for an actuary is pass the exams so I'm hoping it saves me

if i could i would get more advanced degrees but from what i see it would not matter

Offline Disappointed

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 03:15:30 PM »
Okay
I definitely appreciate the interest ??? here
so here's majority of my resume
I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with it but I'm reluctant I feel if I change it, I am wasting money but put myself at risk at having a worse resume.  As though there is some subliminal pattern to it that I don't recognize.
It's so dumb but the beginning is:

Solutions-oriented Mathematics and Chemistry Professional offering educational background in research, statistical analysis, applied mathematics, data mining and collection, scientific computation, and financial reconciliation.  Experience encompasses examination and validation of numerical and scientific data, compilation of complex statistical information, and broad knowledge of intricate theories, processes, and computational techniques.  Reputation for managing concurrent projects and meeting time-critical deadlines, demonstrating competencies in planning, schedule management, and organization.  Exceptional documentation and presentation skills, with proven ability to blend interpersonal, analytical, and technological strengths.  Credited with high level of initiative, solid analytical aptitude, and problem-solving talents.  Personal commitment to excellence in quality and standards of work performance.  Proficiencies include: 
(here's where the thesaurus got maxed out)
*  Research and Evaluation       *  Testing & Tracking Protocols      *  Metrics and Analytics
* Needs/Requirement Analysis   *  Quality Assurance                     * Technology Applications
* Prioritization Practices           *  Reports Management                * PC Hardware/Software
* Organization and Accuracy     *  Efficiency Improvement             *  Independent Judgment
* Time and Task Management    *  Lab Inventory Management        * Effective Communication

Education
this part is pretty much self explanatory
if anyone really wants to see the courses, i'll add it later

some additional filler
Technology
Advanced PC literacy encompasses Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), training in C++ programming, success in repairing computers, Internet research, and operational tools to support data management, reports generation, and tracking and monitoring requirements.

Employment
though interesting...all completely unrelated

I guess since I am 0 for 500
I might as well make my own and try it out
If it sucks, I'm in the same position.  If it works, I can tell the person who did mine that they do a crappy job.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 03:41:29 PM »
Try this instead.

I assume your resume is saved a word file or something you can edit, yes?  Cut out the personal information (like your name and such), but leave everything else in there.  We want to see the format, how it looks, how it's layed out, etc.

When you make a post, under "additional options", you can attach a file, use that instead.

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 05:18:37 PM »
Honestly, that big paragraph and all those built points do suck. It is a resume, unless you have a large list of publications, it should all fit on one page neatly and be easy to read. All that stuff says in a round-about-manner "I got a B.S. degree in chemistry and mathematics and I think I did pretty good in school too".

Education, listing courses? What, hell no! You listed what degrees you have, any awards that go along with it, and if you did research non-related to a class your PI's name and a very short description of what you did.

Really, do post your resume how you have been sending it out, and just change the name and address and contact information etc to protect your privacy. Because it does sound like a horrible resume.

The most marketable degree?
 Roll Eyes please
spare me the propaganda
It is not propaganda. Chemistry is the central science, chemists are always in demand. Your problem is, most places want experience (just like any field, not just chemistry). You have to start low and take a simple basic boring job and get experience, and then apply to better positions.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 05:51:12 PM »
OK, here's my resume ... from 1992, when I was looking for my first job, the only thing I cut out was my identification header, and the city of my high school job.  You'll notice, it is pretty stark, and plain.  But is is easier to read than yours, with bullet points on a single line.  Which is important, the personnel department can't really understand technical terms.  Nowadays, the personal information field would be left off, that was just the style of the day, and something I put in to lengthen the document, to fill the page.  My current one looks nothing like this, LOL.

OBJECTIVE:    A position using biochemical laboratory skills

EDUCATION: The University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
                        Bachelor of Science in Molecular and Cellular Biology
                        Concentration in Biochemistry
                        January, 1992

Studies include:
                        Industrial Microbiology
                        Molecular Genetics Laboratory
                        Analytical Chemistry Laboratory
                        Advanced Biochemistry Laboratory

Laboratory skills:
                        Protein purification and SDS-PAGE
                        Single and Double Radiolabeled analysis
                        Recombinant DNA techniques
                        High Pressure Liquid Chromatography
                        Standard analytical laboratory procedures

Computer skills:
                        Spreadsheet - Lotus 1-2-3, Excel, 20/20
                        Word Processing - PC Write
                        Statistics - Minitab                         
                        MacVector DNA analysis
                        Waters Expert Ease HPLC software

WORK EXPERIENCE:

August 1990-December 1990       Co-operative Education Work Placement
                                  Waters Chromatography, Milford MA
                                  - performed general laboratory duties
                                  - maintained and ran Waters HPLC amino acid identification systems
                                  - designed experiments for new systems

April 1985-May 1988             Summer and Part-Time Employment
                                  Finast Supermarket,
                                  - stocked produce shelves
                                  - performed night closing duties
                                  - built promotional displays
                                  - instructed new employees

PERSONAL INFORMATION:
                     Enjoy traveling, willing to relocate
                     Plan to pursue Masters Degree in Molecular Biology Field

REFERENCES:      Available on request

Offline Disappointed

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 07:46:47 PM »
I like that
thanks
so you really highlighted your education
detailed but simple and easy to read
the lady who did mine had never done anything like mine
it listed all the main courses in a paragraph

i appreciate that
I'm going to try and incorporate its visual appeal onto mine
I'm basically going to rewrite a completely new one how I want it

How long did you search for a job?
and when you say skills...
I mean, I've done a lot of things and used a lot of instruments but some only a few times
for example, I always see HPLC but I only used it 3 or 4 times... would you suggest including it at all

Offline enahs

• Retired Staff
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 09:15:35 PM »
A resume is ONLY to get you pass the people in human resource that make sure only people possibly qualified get an interview. If you are not getting interviews, you are either applying for positions to above your experience level yet, or your resume is a big problem. These people read 100's of resumes. They want streamlines information, ohh look a college degree in what we are wanting, check!

A resume does not get you a job, it only gets you an interview!

Sponsored Links