April 20, 2024, 05:38:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do you get a job, seriously how  (Read 15030 times)

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: How do you get a job, seriously how
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 10:08:58 PM »
i appreciate that
I'm going to try and incorporate its visual appeal onto mine
I'm basically going to rewrite a completely new one how I want it
When you do rewrite it, you can post it here and we can look at it for you.
I mean, I've done a lot of things and used a lot of instruments but some only a few times
for example, I always see HPLC but I only used it 3 or 4 times... would you suggest including it at all
In my resume I used different phrases, I said I had proficiency for things that I am very familiar with, and then I said "Limited experience" for things I've only done a few times.  You can see an excerpt from my resume below:

Technical Skills_____________________________________________________

* 3 years of experience in organic chemistry labs through classes and research experience
    * Proficiency in preparing and running samples for 1H, 13C, and DEPT NMR, T1 and T2 Relaxivity Experiments, Infrared, and Ultraviolet-Visible Spectroscopy.
    * Limited experience preparing and running samples for Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry
    * Limited experience preparing and running samples for a Quantum Design Physical Properties Measurement System for measuring Temperature Dependence of AC Susceptibility

Offline Disappointed

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 09:37:38 PM »
A resume is ONLY to get you pass the people in human resource that make sure only people possibly qualified get an interview. If you are not getting interviews, you are either applying for positions to above your experience level yet, or your resume is a big problem. These people read 100's of resumes. They want streamlines information, ohh look a college degree in what we are wanting, check!

A resume does not get you a job, it only gets you an interview!

So.... I'm screwed
I struggle to find the lowest possible positions.
I look for HS diploma requirements and always zero experience.

i want to know how long people looked for work and what they did first and if they were just thrown in the mix and expected to do everything immediately
i see no possible way i'm ever getting in anywhere

I might have been born yesterday, sir
but I stayed up all night

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 09:46:39 PM »
Can you maybe give some examples of what jobs you've recently applied for?  Maybe that will help people understand why you're getting turned down...

Also, I still strongly recommend posting your CV ASAP!!!  If you are a borderline hire case, and you have a crappy CV, then you are not going to get it.  So that is still crucial to address.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 12:12:09 PM »
So.... I'm screwed
I struggle to find the lowest possible positions.
I look for HS diploma requirements and always zero experience.

That is not wise.  If you have education, above what is called for, they will never hire you.  They expect you'll find a better job soon, and leave.  They expect you'll be a poor worker, if the position isn't challenging enough, and you're not paid well enough.  So match your education, and the skills you've developed in classes, to the position, and apply for those positions.

i want to know how long people looked for work and what they did first and if they were just thrown in the mix and expected to do everything immediately i see no possible way i'm ever getting in anywhere

Jobs know that you will need some retraining on some of their procedures.  Your classes, and what they mean to you, and what small projects you may have worked on in school, will help you land a job that's interested in hiring you.

And if you're looking for a position in an English speaking country -- polish up your contemporary English grammar and diction.  Always capitalize the pronoun 'I' for example.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 01:15:27 AM »
http://www.indeed.com/ is a good resource for jobs in the US.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 09:08:01 AM »

It's not a bad search source, but it was once I'd registered there, the starting point for the arrival of spam -- those suggestions to use my own bank account to approve European bank transfers -- so I'd hope you make a throwaway email account, just for this particular job search.  But yeah, even careerbuilder.com, and Yahoo's HotJobs, or Monster.com, are all good -- with the need for good spam defense, as I noted above.  Unfortunately, the O.P. hasn't mentioned yet their source of job postings.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Disappointed

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
And if you're looking for a position in an English speaking country -- polish up your contemporary English grammar and diction.  Always capitalize the pronoun 'I' for example.

:D swell!, I've never considered internet forums to be such a fantastic platform to practice my grammar
but then, not everyone wants a job focused around obfuscated blather

thanks for the critique
it's wicked useful
{you use commas incorrectly}

8)
Nice. that's an awesome site
no point registering

monster is probably the worst (have fun deleting an account)
career builder is okay
yahoo is decent
craigslist is pretty good usually
simply hired is another vertical search engine like indeed
whatever is clever
I'm looking everywhere for anything
I might have been born yesterday, sir
but I stayed up all night

Sponsored Links