April 25, 2024, 08:23:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Questions on wave function  (Read 2918 times)

Offline o0CY0o

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Questions on wave function
« on: December 20, 2008, 11:27:47 AM »
There are 2 questions which i would ask for the wave function.
I know that the wave function can be resolved to radial wavefunction and the angular wavefuntion.
Is it true to say that the radial wavefunction depends on both n and l and angular wavefunction depends on l and ml ?

In my set of handout, there is a statement about " tha s and d orbitals are symmetric to inversion through the origin while the p is anti symmetric toward inversions." I don't really get want it means, can anyone help me out?

Finally, does anyone have some exam or test paper about MOtheory, Ligand field theory or quantum mechanic for freemen? Thx  ;)

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Questions on wave function
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 11:38:19 AM »
My wave function and pchem is very weak, but the second statement about the s and d orbitals and the p orbital refers to inversion symmetry.  If you take any point and then follow it through the center of the atom, to the other side, that is an inversion point.  For the s and d orbitals, if you take any point and invert it through the center, then you get the same sign on the orbital and the same symmetric point.  For the p orbital, it is symmetric with respect to shape, but the orbital sign is opposite, so it is anti symmetric.

Sorry I can't help with the other questions.

Offline o0CY0o

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Questions on wave function
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »
My wave function and pchem is very weak, but the second statement about the s and d orbitals and the p orbital refers to inversion symmetry.  If you take any point and then follow it through the center of the atom, to the other side, that is an inversion point.  For the s and d orbitals, if you take any point and invert it through the center, then you get the same sign on the orbital and the same symmetric point.  For the p orbital, it is symmetric with respect to shape, but the orbital sign is opposite, so it is anti symmetric.

Sorry I can't help with the other questions.

Got you=] thanks a lot!

Anyway can help for the others?

Sponsored Links