April 26, 2024, 10:25:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Identical orbitals or different orbitals?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Identical orbitals or different orbitals?
« on: December 24, 2008, 04:26:44 AM »
Hello,

Is the 1s orbital in a hydrogen atom "identical" to the 1s orbital in a helium or lithium atom?

If not identical in what ways are they similar and in which ways do they differ?

Do the same similarities and differences between orbitals apply to all atoms and orbital types e.g. are the 2p orbitals in nitrogen, oxygen and carbon "identical"?

Can the absorption and emission spectra for any atom be explained by absorption and emission of photons by electrons in different orbitals?

In a hydrogen atom would the photon emitted by an electron moving from 2px to 1s be identical in energy and frequency to an electron moving from 2py to 1s ?

Thanks

Clive

Offline benzenejamie

• Mole Snacks: +0/-9
Re: Identical orbitals or different orbitals?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 05:08:38 AM »
Hi Clive. Im not expert but i just assume that the orbitals are identical in the sense that each atom has the same orbitals its just a matter of whether or not they are filled. As for an s electron being promoted to a p orbital i would just assume that if the s electron is excited enough to be promoted and the px and py are already filled it would just occupy the z.
But i was wondering something similar. If the px and py were already filled, can the excited s electron *Ignore me, I am impatient* the electrons in x and y up to y and z?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Identical orbitals or different orbitals?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 09:09:04 AM »
Is the 1s orbital in a hydrogen atom "identical" to the 1s orbital in a helium or lithium atom?

Different energy.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links