April 25, 2024, 12:53:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: assigning of peaks for H NMR for delta-valerolactone  (Read 6540 times)

Offline ~*~*PrEciOuS*~*~

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
assigning of peaks for H NMR for delta-valerolactone
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:43:34 PM »
Hai..I do understands how many peaks I'm supposed to observe in NMR spectrum for delta-valerolactone.But i kinda confused as to how the peaks are to the respective proton.In another words,how to find out which peak belongs to which proton.Can  someone pls

Answer NeeDed UrGeNTly..10Q

I've put your question in your post, and edit/locked your poll.  Next time, please use polls for a poll, not ya' know other things ;).  Thanks!  --Macman104
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:56:04 PM by macman104 »

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: assigning of peaks for H NMR for delta-valerolactone
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 09:56:25 PM »
Ok, well, how many different types of protons do you have?  Which ones are chemically equivalent?  I've got a picture so you can tell us which ones are the same.

Offline ~*~*PrEciOuS*~*~

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:55:48 PM »
Ok, well, how many different types of protons do you have?  Which ones are chemically equivalent?  I've got a picture so you can tell us which ones are the same.

;D Hey kinda new to all tis forum.Anyway in my H NMR results i have 3 peaks.I know that one belong to Ha and Hb.The other one belongs to Hi and Hg.The last peak belongs to the other protons.But I wanna knw how you predict which peak belong to which proton?

Can you explain to me how do i go about assigning the peaks..

Pls *delete me*

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:59:08 PM »
Ok, well if you look at Ha&b, they are next to oxygen right?  Can you predict which way the electrons are going to be pulled?

Well, there are two ways, usually in your book there is a table, of common chemical shifts, you can use that to look at where the peaks should be.  Otherwise, we can continue discussing how to take a guess at the order they appear (and where they are) in the NMR.  However, you will need to memorize a few values in that table, so you can have some idea where things are in the NMR.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »
Haha.. I can tell from Precious' writing style where she is from.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links