April 26, 2024, 08:54:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: IUPAC and Stock naming  (Read 7011 times)

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
IUPAC and Stock naming
« on: December 31, 2008, 02:06:08 AM »
Hello,

Has Stock naming of inorganic compounds based on oxidation state been abandoned by the IUPAC?

I am looking at the following section of the following wiki article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUPAC_nomenclature_of_inorganic_chemistry_2005#Specifying_proportions_using_charge_or_oxidation_state

It seems a pretty authoratative document ot me - and nowhere can I find rules about names for inorganic compunds such as

Iron (II) Chloride
Iron (III) Chloride

are we back with

Ferrous Chloride
Ferric Chloride

?

Thanks

Clive

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: IUPAC and Stock naming
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 03:41:15 AM »
I believe -ous and -ic is an older naming system, or what it is called as common name nowadays. Just like cupr-ous and cupr-ic. However, this older system is only limited to 4 oxidation states just like the example in this link on the oxyacid of chlorine: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inorganic_nomenclature. The new system with roman numeral is better because there are elements with more than 4 oxidation states and also it is more direct. I think common names are fine like water! ;D
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 05:22:32 AM »
I took high school chemistry in 1985, they said at the time that -ic/-ous were on the way out, and Roman numerals were going to be used exclusively.  We would still have to know both, just for reading old papers. 

Well, it hasn't worked out exactly like that, -ic/ous are still used, but lots of younger people don't know them well.  I remember getting them confused in front of some old timer, and he scoffed, and I said, "I may be the last generation of people even taught this topic, when I'm gone, you'll have no one to talk to."
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 05:42:35 AM »
According to Principles of chemical nomenclature, Leigh, Favre & Metanomski (available in pdf from IUPAC site) Fe2(SO)3 is iron(3+) sulfate or iron(iii) sulfate or even diiron trisulfate.

So your chlorides will be either iron(2+) chloride and iron(3+) chloride, or iron(ii) chloride and iron(iii) chloride, or iron dichloride and iron trichloride. Never ferrous nor ferric.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links