April 25, 2024, 06:13:09 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 2 question on molecular compounds.  (Read 3366 times)

Offline reed

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
2 question on molecular compounds.
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:27:20 PM »
Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen, and other elements form diatomic molecules with themselves. Phosphorus and Sulfur form weird molecules that are polyatomic - S8 and P4. Why don't metals form these diatomic molecules?

Another question:
My book claims that the compound UF6 is molecular. But the electronegativity of Fluorine is 4 and U is 1.4. A difference in their electronegative is 2.6 which would make it an ionic compound and not molecular. Why does my book claim it's molecular?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: 2 question on molecular compounds.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:51:41 PM »
Since metals tend to share their outermost electrons across many atoms, it would be hard to say where one molecule ended and another began, so the convention is to just not use numbers in it's molecule, when writing a balanced equation, since the number of atoms in the molecule varies with the allotrope.  Sometimes, when writing a sulfur, or phosphorus reaction, people will just leave off the coefficient for the molecule.  Likewise, iodide forms a diatomic molecule, in the vapor phase, but for iodine crystals, it is hard to know where one pair would end, and another begin, so sometimes, we leave it off.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline reed

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 04:09:53 PM »
Thanks, but why does Uranium form a molecule if it's a metal?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:08:10 AM »
Thanks, but why does Uranium form a molecule if it's a metal?

See, now that I don't know, but lookie here: a similar topic has come up on these boards recently
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=30524.msg116030#msg116030
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:03:11 AM »
metals have tendecy to lose electrons and they form metallic boding in which  electrons have high mobility in three dimension over all atoms in the crystal.So whatever no of atoms  are present in the crystal ,they all are bound to each other due to these free mobile electrons.

whereas in non-metals covalent bonds are present in molecules with fixed no of atoms.
I think this will help you to understand the concept.
UF6 is a octahedral molecule in which U is +6 oxidation state if it forms complete ionic bond with 6F.Any atom with +6 O.S itself becomes highly electronegative .So I think that can be reason for UF6 to have molecular structure .

Sponsored Links