April 25, 2024, 01:53:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why is hydrogen less dense then helium?  (Read 8413 times)

LT4

Why is hydrogen less dense then helium?
« on: May 02, 2005, 11:36:39 AM »
Why is hydrogen less dense then helium?  I know it is less dense, but I'm not sure why.  Could someone please explain it to me?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Why is hydrogen less dense then helium?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 12:40:11 PM »
What is density?  It's the mass of something divided by the volume it takes up.  So if something has a density of 22 grams per milliliter, then it means that in one milliliter of volume there are 22 grams of the substance.  

Now what else do we know about gases?  We know that one mole of a gas occupies 22.4 Liters of space at standard temperatures and pressures.  It doesn't matter what the formula of the gas is.  One mole of it will take up 22.4 liters of space.

So knowing that, you can see why hydrogen is less dense than helium just by looking at the periodic table.  :D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Why is hydrogen less dense then helium?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 10:23:06 PM »
i presume you are comparing hydrogen and helium in gaseous state. under the same pressure and temperature, both gases exhibit the same molar volume. however, 1 mole of Helium contains 4g whereas 1mole of hydrogen gas (H2) contains 2g. Given density is mass per unit volume, we can see that 1mole of helium contains more mass than 1 mole of hydrogen gas, therefore hydrogen gas is less dense than helium.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links