April 25, 2024, 03:26:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nitrogen  (Read 6762 times)

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
Nitrogen
« on: May 03, 2005, 05:44:37 PM »
I need an experiment to show the reactivity of Nitrogen. Is there a safe way to make Nitrogen in it's di-atomic state?
Thanks,
Pierre :)
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Nitrogen
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 08:29:33 PM »
70 sum odd percent of what we breathe is nitrogen most probably in its diatomic state. I don't know of any good ways to seperate the oxegen and other gases from it other than a high powered compress used to make liquid nitrogen and other gases liquid. If your up to it purchase a flask made for liquid nitrogen cheaply online somewhere. Then go to your local hospital and ask if they'll give you any liquid nitrogen since they compress tons of it and seperate it from the oxegen. You can also just buy it from a chemical supplier online. CAUTION do not try to stop it from vaporizing. It won't work. My friend aquired some and stored it improperly and the bottle he used exploded and froze his counter.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 12:52:47 AM »
Clean Dry Air Component   Percent
Nitrogen                  78.084
Oxygen                    20.947
Argon                      0.934
Carbon Dioxide             0.033
Other                      0.002

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 12:56:17 AM »
Nitrogen can be obtained as a compressed gas that is not liquefied.

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 04:47:51 PM »
The problem is, part of the experiment is to actually make the Nitrogen. Therefore, I need to know how to make it.
Thanks,
Pierre.
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 08:04:57 PM »
The way you stated your question it seamed that you only needed the nitrogen. If your trying to synthesise it from something else look at cleaning products. Ammonia (NH3) only contains 1 nitrogen atom though which is common in some cleaners. Try to think of substances that may contain alot of nitrogen in them and google it. You can also ask your chemistry teacher or someone who knows chemistry well.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 05:57:15 AM »
2NH3 + 3CuO -> 3Cu + 3H2O + N2

pass ammonia gas over heated copper(ii) oxide.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links