April 23, 2024, 01:19:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Have to find X using Gas laws. Also bond angles, hybridization of Chlorine  (Read 7734 times)

Offline Tony30

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A compound of chlorine and fluorine, CIFx, reacts at about 75 degrees C with uranium to produce uranium hexafluoride and chlrine fluoride, CIF. A certain amount of uranium produced 5.63 g of uranium hexafluroide and 457 mL of chlorine fluoride at 75 degrees C and 3.00 atm. What is X? Describe the geometry, polarity, and bond angles, of the compound and the hybridization of chlorine. How many sigma and pi bonds are there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:02:37 AM by geodome »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Alright.  There are a few things we can do to start working on this problem.  For starters, there are at least 3 different questions, that aren't really related (well, two are kinda related.)  Can you split this question up into blocks of those 3 questions, so it looks less daunting?  And can you start solving the first one?

*[EDIT]*

In a previous, similar question of yours, it's been mentioned that you need a balanced reaction.  That's a little hard, in this case, because the formula contains an X.  But can you try, and then see what you need to do to solve for X?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Tony30

CIFx + U = UF6 + ClF.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
Good.  You've written a chemical formula.  This formula, what are it's units?  And yes, there are units there, sort of hidden, but it may have been mentioned before.   What units are you given for reactants?  And can you convert?

Offline Tony30

Well units probably is in STP. Also i figure if i use the amount of Uranium 5.63 g to work backwords. I just need help for the hybridization and how to find what X is

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
Well units probably is in STP.

That wasn't where I was going with the term units.  It's a subtle bit, that chem profs only seem to hint at  -- the balanced chemical reaction is an equation.  That is, it contains, almost, arithmetic operators, this plus this yields this plus this -- correct?  The "units" of a chemical equation are moles.

Also i figure if i use the amount of Uranium 5.63 g to work backwords.

Good work, you realize, you've been given mass, and have to convert to moles, and you know how.  You also know how to use the gas laws, to determine moles.

I just need help for the hybridization and how to find what X is

Well, yeah, until we know what X is, we don't know how many atoms are where, and we won't know the geometry, and we won't know the hybridization.

Offline Tony30

So how would i find X that is probably the first step in solving this problem.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
You will need to balance the equation, same numbers of atoms (moles of reactants) on either side of the arrow.  You've been told how much product in grams of solid and volume of gas at a temperature and pressue, can you convert?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
To solve this problem, we need de-construct the data provided into solvable simultaneous equations.

A compuond of chlorine and fluorine, CIFx, reacts at about 75 degrees C with uranium to produce uranium hexafluoride and chlrine fluoride, CIF.

This is an unbalanced equation: ClFx + U -> UF6 + ClF

We have to balance it first: ClFx + y.U -> y.UF6 + ClF
=> x = 6y + 1
=> we need 1 more independent equation to solve this problem.

A certain amount of uranium produced 5.63 g of uranium hexafluroide and 457 mL of chlorine fluoride at 75 degrees C and 3.00 atm.

This data here would provide us the means to calculate the various mole ratio of reactant to reactant and reactant to product. This mole ratio would be the source of our 2nd independent equation.

molar mass of UF6 = 238.03 + 6*19.00 = 352.03 g/mol
number of moles of UF6 formed = mass / (molar mass) = 5.63 / 352.03 = 0.01599 = 0.016 moles

assuming perfect gas,
number of moles of ClF formed = (P*V)/ (R*T) = (3.03975*105 Pa * 0.000457 m3) / (8.314 J.mol-1.K-1 * 348 K) = 0.048 moles

Given that the molar ratio of UF6 to ClF is y:1, then
y = (number of moles of UF6 formed) / (number of moles of ClF formed) = 0.016/0.048 = 1/3
x = 6y + 1 = 3

Describe the geometry, polarity, and bond angles, of the compound and the hybridization of chlorine. How many sigma and pi bonds are there.

Don't forget to consider the lone pairs and the bonding pair of electrons on Chlorine's valence shell to evaluate the state of Chlorine's hybridisation.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links