March 28, 2024, 03:48:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Getting Iron Shavings off a Magnet  (Read 13706 times)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Getting Iron Shavings off a Magnet
« on: May 02, 2005, 07:51:50 PM »
Is there any easy way to remove metal shavings from a permanent magnet. I thought about maybe building a powerful electromagnet and trying to over come the other magnets magnetism, but the regular magnet would probably get stuck on the electromagnet and my problem would never be solved.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Getting Iron Shavings off a Magnet
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 10:18:51 PM »
unless the metal shavings are not Fe.. i could suggest something..
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Corvettaholic

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 12:00:36 PM »
Try putting the permanent magnet in a vise grip, and secure it really good! You can do this the poor man's way: get a crapload of magnet wire from radio shack and wrap a LOT of turns around a stick of rebar. Be warned, this is a one time use electromagnet. 'Aquire' as many car batteries as you can, and get a heavy duty switch. The switch will also die from this. Connect all the car batteries you can in parallel, or best yet use two banks so you have 24V. Use a really long stick, or something not conductive, to flip the switch to connect the circuit. Circuit being the car battery bank and the wire wrapped stick of rebar. You will get one hell of a field! Unfortunantly, the whole thing will melt and there will be a dead short. You can put limiting resistors (think many megaohm power resistors) to limit current but you'll get less punch if you do this. Could also save your parts from destruction. If the resistors melt, you didn't have enough and you're probably screwed. Figure 500-600 cold cranking amps PER car battery. Beware the batteries exploding. Its rare, but it has happened before. It really sucks, trust me.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 08:10:22 PM »
They are iron shavings, and I think I'll try the electromagnet but not to that extreme of a degree. Thanks for the help cause if I just threw out magnets this happened to I wouldn't have many magnets left.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 06:33:27 PM »
alternatively, you can always electrically shock the magnet. it will loose its magnetism and the iron shavings will drop off by its own. LOL. scrubbing should be able to remove all the iron shaving.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

mithrilhack

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 11:13:29 PM »
Would hammering it also make it lose its magnetism?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 01:19:42 AM »
Would hammering it also make it lose its magnetism?

Mechanical deformations will not make it loose its magnetism. Unless you rearrange it a lot by hammering it.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

mithrilhack

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 01:24:59 PM »
Well wouldn't it jar and disorganize the magnetic particles?

arnyk

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 07:26:32 PM »
It may alter the field shape.

Also if I recall correctly...heating the magnet may cause it to temporarily lose its magnetism until it cools down.

*Corvettaholic: That's what we call "overkill". ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 07:28:34 PM by arnyk »

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 07:43:09 PM »
I wasn't gonna say anything, but I LOVED corvettaholic's solution.  Not that I recommend it, but it was told like a story...and everyone knows that's how magicians are so entertaining...they're able to tell stories and stuff.

Corvettaholic, that was awesome.  Kudos.

P.S. Good luck with the metal-shavings - I hope the forum has been helpful.  I personally have no ideas.

Jessica

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 02:09:58 PM »
tsk tsk tsk, it may help in future to cover your magnet with a thin plasic sandwich bag, that way you`ll never get any particles on the magnet itself, and turning the bag inside-out after not only removes your clean magnet, but also keeps what you`ve collected in the bag  ;)

Sponsored Links