March 28, 2024, 10:21:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mercury detoxification  (Read 23448 times)

Offline victor

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
  • I'm a cat!
Re:Mercury detoxification
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 07:28:54 AM »
What I got here is when amonium nitrate is get heated till 170oC, it will broken off and if it get heated again till 350oC, it will form N2 with a big blast of energy.... ;D
ironically, we oftenly use this bomb as a plant fertilizer aren't we?

RyanJones

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2005, 12:06:27 PM »

Its not technically explosive without a primer, it needs a detonation to give it the energy to decompose explosivly. otherwise it just decomposes pretty much.

And yes its a good fertilizer though its becoming harder to get hold of because people abuse it.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 12:08:12 PM by RyanJones »

Jessica

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2005, 12:37:35 PM »
thermal decomposition results in Nitrous Oxide (Laughing gas).
AN to actualy detonate not only needs a primer but also has a critical diameter, under which diameter will not result in complete detonation, with a sensitiser this diameter can be reduced though.
and as Jdurg says, there aren`t any inorganic nitrates that I can think of either that will react in the way mentioned. at minimum you need a binary mixture or at least a Carbon group  :)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 08:20:09 PM »
I didn't see this mentioned in here. But....

Has anybody heard about the scientists that are trying to engineer bacteria to clean up mercury. I read about it somewhere.

Sorry I probably sound like a broken record player when I say "I read about it somewhere." I read a lot of random articles online and I read PopSci. On occasion random journals of science.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 08:58:02 PM »
I didn't see this mentioned in here. But....

yes already mentioned above.

when you read an interesting article why not reference it or print it, that way you can post with a bit more accuracy. ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 08:58:58 PM by mike »
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 01:38:30 AM »
or you could just read the posts above you  :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 01:39:39 AM by Mitch »
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 09:10:18 PM »
I skimmed the posts till I stopped recognizing things in them. I must've missed the one with the bacteria. I think it's cool how scientists are inserting DNA into bacteria to make them do all sorts of neat tricks. The neatest trick of all is making bacteria make penicilan for human use. That has saved who knows how many lives.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

RyanJones

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2005, 06:51:00 PM »
Indeed it is, that or Insulin which is another big one!

I have a question along these lines - are there any mercury compounds that are not harmful to humans?

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2005, 06:40:20 PM »
Some teeth fillings contain mercury. A lot of people get fillings. I haven't heard of any cases where mercury poisoning do to teeth fillings has caused a death.

P.S. I had meant to put insulin instead of penicilan. Both have saved many, many lives though.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 06:41:16 PM by constant thinker »

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 02:49:33 PM »
As a Type I Diabetic myself, I concur that the production of insulin thanks to bacteria is a great thing indeed.   ;) ;D

For "non-toxic" mercury compounds, there is calomel (Hg2Cl2) and Merbromin.  Although the 'non-toxic' part of that is still up for debate.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

RyanJones

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 03:01:56 PM »
Some teeth fillings contain mercury. A lot of people get fillings. I haven't heard of any cases where mercury poisoning do to teeth fillings has caused a death.

I'm not shure if that counts because even the non-toxity of these arwe still under debate and its not really a compound either :-)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Offline peacefulltortoise

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 06:00:20 AM »
What I got here is when amonium nitrate is get heated till 170oC, it will broken off and if it get heated again till 350oC, it will form N2 with a big blast of energy.... ;D
By the way, I have one question:
 if most of amonium salts are pyrolytic, can we get  amonium salts from its solution by heating? For example, I have a NH4NO3 solution, what would happend when I heat this? If NH4NO3 is pyrolytic before water's all gone, how should I do to get pure NH4NO3?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 07:03:06 AM »
You don't have to go above 100 deg C in order to evaporate solution. Besides, if the solubility changes with the temperature - which is often the case, although not always - is is enough to cool saturated solution to crystallize substantial part of the salt.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links