April 26, 2024, 01:00:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: creation of ozone  (Read 5658 times)

Offline kateman

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
creation of ozone
« on: December 01, 2008, 07:07:29 AM »
hello, iam not too familiar with photolysis but could could ozone (O3) be made from an led (light emitting diode) with wavelength of 400nm? 

I am planning to make oxygen turn into ozone (3O2 ->2O3)

how long do you think it would take if i used several diodes?
Or would a diode not be the best source of uv light? If so, what type of light and of what wavelength would be the best in this case? 

thanks

Offline Himik_1982

Re: creation of ozone
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 02:16:48 PM »
 Well, sometimes they recomend to use electric charge, not UV irradiation and equipment is well discribed.
http://www.nspu.net/fileadmin/library/books/8/top_13/5_21.jpg - here is a picture of handmade ''ozonator"
By the way creation of ozone is pure inorganic, but not analytical...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 02:28:04 PM by Himik_1982 »

Offline mir

• Fascinated organic chemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +13/-3
  • Visit my blog: mir.humle.be
    • My humble homepage with norwegian articles
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 06:25:15 AM »
Be careful. Ozone is harmful. You often smell ozone in subways, old officeinstruments like copymachines, or of battery-charges. Everytime you have high voltage and oxygen, ozone is formed.
No single thing abides, but all things flow.
Fragment to fragment clings, and thus they grow
Until we know and name them.
Then by degrees they change and are no more
The things we know.
- Titus Lucretius Carus

http://www.ife.no

Offline dlzc

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 10:11:46 AM »
hello, iam not too familiar with photolysis but could could ozone (O3) be made from an led (light emitting diode) with wavelength of 400nm? 

I am planning to make oxygen turn into ozone (3O2 ->2O3)

how long do you think it would take if i used several diodes?
Or would a diode not be the best source of uv light? If so, what type of light and of what wavelength would be the best in this case? 

thanks

Minimum 215nm UV light is required to shatter an oxygen molecule, some of which will end up making ozone.  The number of lights is not the issue, the chemical bond you need to break is.

The light wavelength you describe is suitable to photocatalytically convert NOx in the presence of VOC into ozone.

Very low concentration ozone is made by using mercury vapor and some xenon (if I recall correctly) lamps with quartz sleeves (normal glass absorbs the "ozone forming" wavelengths).

Much easier with electrical corona...

Offline rocketparrotlet

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:18:53 PM »
400nm will definitely not be able to do this.  I have a laser at 405nm, and there is no ozone produced whatsoever, even when the laser is focused down to a point of 1mm in diameter.

If working with ultraviolet light less than 300nm, extreme precautions must be taken.  Light of this wavelength is cancer-forming and completely invisible.

-Mark

Sponsored Links