March 28, 2024, 01:29:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is Nuclear Energy Bad?  (Read 60096 times)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Why is Nuclear Energy not bad?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2005, 12:30:40 AM »
the shortcoming of nuclear power would be waste processing. currently, there isn't a viable process to convert nuclear waste to non-toxic substance. the penetrating nature of radiation requires it to be stored very very deep underground, however there's a possibility that the nuclear waste might contaminate the watershed. nuclear power, despite its potential, is one of those technology that are delivered to the public before they are perfected. Burning Conventional fuel produces alot of sulphur dioxide and oxides of nitrogen. It is a major contribution to acid rain, which nobody has solved the problem. People still live with acid rain and global warming, what more is nuclear contamination? Firstly, the shortcomings of nuclear power is comparable to that of conventional fuel; Secondly, the high fuel efficiency and lower CO2 emmision makes it green; Thirdly, its operational cost is cheaper than conventional fuel power plants, thus making nuclear power more economic. Isn't it conclusive that nuclear power is good?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 12:36:08 AM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Why is Nuclear Energy Bad?
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2005, 08:20:34 AM »
Yeah, but it's a lot easier to protect yourselves and your property from the effects of acid rain.  Plus, you can install scrubbers which lowers the amounts of sulfur and nitrogen oxides released into the air.  It's a bit more difficult to reduce the amount of radioactivity that spent fuel gives off, and it's a lot easier to live with acid rain than it is nuclear contamination.  I still think nuclear power has its uses, but an entire energy supply based on nuclear power is not the way to go.  (Nor is an entire energy supply based on fossil fuels).
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2005, 03:58:39 PM »
You're the best, geodome!

Once we find a way to process the waste and mine and mill without producing CO2, we will probably use nuclear energy as our top energy.

Furthermore, some countries are already basically run on nuclear energy, like France, for example. France makes so much nuclear energy that it exports some of it to the UK.

Pierre
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2005, 08:21:42 PM »
All the factories and power plants in the midwest produce tremendous amounts of NOx. The nitrous oxides react with an antiorganic compound that is produced naturally by trees. The reaction of the 2 forms O3 and some other things.The o so kind jetstream brings all that pollution up to New Hampshire where we have plenty of trees. I live around the trees. I have asthma and on our many high ozone  days I have a helluva time breathing. Not pleasant at all. I'd prefer the nuclear reactors over the fossil fuels any day. Just take all the nuclear waste and bury it very deep in special facilities. I know it costs alot but it's my opinion. Also the nuclear power plant in Seabrook, NH can provide almost enough power for the whole state.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2005, 11:12:15 PM »
When we "bury" nuclear waste it is not forever. The thought has always been to keep the waste in the hope that someday we can extract more power from it. As it stands the technology exists to reuse US's nuclear waste today! The problem is that its cheaper to mine more Uranium then it is to reuse the Uranium. As we run out of our Uranium stockpiles, which is a lot, there will be more financial push to begin looking at reusing the waste.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 06:27:59 PM »
Well where's all the negative stuff coming from? ;)
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 11:48:07 PM »
environazis
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2005, 01:25:56 AM »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2005, 08:35:14 PM »
An example of environazis would be...? :alien1:
Pierre.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2005, 02:01:42 PM »
Well where's all the negative stuff coming from? ;)

People with a teency-weency bit of information on the subject who watch waaaaaaay too much TV/Movies and think everything they see in the media is 100% true.  Then these idiots who have no real jobs and no real lives go around spouting off their horribly inaccurate statements and getting all of the other clueless members of society to agree with them.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

corey2

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2005, 03:36:12 PM »
Think positive !! :)
Humankind will find a way to clean nuclear wastes, and secure nuclear reactors.
Think about nuclear fusion reactors and LENR reactors, LENR waste treatment for recycling heavy and radioactive metals ! ;D
We NEED more and cheaper energy every day.
Fission nuclear reactors are only transitional.
coal and oil will die, very fast considering the always rising prices of oil in the world in the last 2 years.  
A lot of european states pay as much as 1.20 euros/litre= 5.75 $/gallon for 95 octane gasoline. :o  :(

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2005, 06:06:04 PM »
Finally something rather positive, jdurg! :)
Pierre.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Why is Nuclear Energy NOT bad?
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2005, 08:12:07 PM »
coal and oil will die, very fast considering the always rising prices of oil in the world in the last 2 years.  
A lot of european states pay as much as 1.20 euros/litre= 5.75 $/gallon for 95 octane gasoline. :o  :(

actually, only 20% of the oil reserves are available to mine/drill. the other 80% are inaccessible by our current technology plus mining some of these oil reserves will destroy people's home. What would you do if u discover that the entire New York City itself is resting on a giant oil reservoir? The cost to move and rehabiliate all the economic infrastructure and people of new york city will be astronomical.

the idea of using nuclear waste as recycled fuel is wonderful but there isn't any technology available to do it ecomomically. meanwhile, we must support all our nuclear research instead of protesting against them. it will only lead to buracreatic pressure to reduce funding on nuclear research and less people to study nuclear energy technology. In 1997, the American Nuclear Society (ANS) did a survey to find only 500++ american undergraduates pursueing nuclear engineering. Lack of new blood to replace the retiring scientists/engineers and reduced funding leads to reduced effort (lesser manpower and money) in nuclear research. It is a worrying issue for all global citizens.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 08:12:50 PM by geodome »

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2005, 08:35:31 PM »
So being a healthcare provider, computer technician, or a nuclear physicist are are going to be some in demand jobs. Either way we will need a new form of power. Especially for hydrogen cars. Indirectly they produce pollution because it requires a lot of electricity. Most of our power is produced from fossil fuels, namely coal. Good news about oil is you can extract some from coal not an overwhelming amount but a considerable amount according to my a physics teacher I had when I took Physical Science.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2005, 05:01:22 PM »
I believe we actually DO have the technology to reuse the nuclear waste.

Pierre
Pierre.

Sponsored Links