April 25, 2024, 06:03:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Vast MP difference between erythro- and threo-2,3-dibromocinnamic acid  (Read 8676 times)

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Erythro MP: 204 oC
Threo MP: 95 oC

In the most stable conformation, it would seem to me like threo- (R,R/S,S) would have the higher melting point because the bromo groups are on the same general side of the molecule, creating a larger dipole and polarization effect.  However, this is pretty obviously far from right, so what's really going on?

Thanks.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Vast MP difference between erythro- and threo-2,3-dibromocinnamic acid
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:38:19 PM »
No, the erythro type has them on the same side.  Read here:

http://wwwchem.csustan.edu/chem3012/Dibromocinnamic%20Acid.htm, scroll down almost to the end.

I also imagine that with the erythro type you can imagine a structure where the bromines are up, and another molecule can line up nicely "below" the other one in a stacking like pattern.  With the threo, that isn't as possible.  I don't have a solid referenceable reason why the large melting point difference though.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 12:13:46 AM »
I have a hard time interpreting those diagrams for some reason.  The threo- is (R,R/S,S), correct?

http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dibromocinnamicacidyp1.jpg

And that is the R,R stereoisomer?  They look like they're on the same side to me, when everything is in staggered conformation - both coming outward from the plane of the page.

Where is my reasoning going wrong? =/

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:19:40 AM »
Correct, that's the threo.  And I know see how you were interpreting it.  I was picturing it more eclipsed up, when you have the R and S conformation, then both bromines are up, and the H's are down.  I tried playing around with it in Chem3D, to see if I could come up with a good conformer explanantion, but I'm failing at it.  Sorry, lol.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 02:11:48 AM »
Np, thanks for the effort  :)

Sponsored Links