June 16, 2024, 01:57:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gibbs Free Energy and Entropy Equations  (Read 4156 times)

Offline MordorFires

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Gibbs Free Energy and Entropy Equations
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:17:53 AM »
I'm afraid I don't have a specific homework problem but more of a conceptual question. We just finished going over enthalpy, entropy and gibbs free energy and I'm a bit confused on some of it.

For one, under constant temperature and pressure, dS = dH/T. Also, dSsurr = - dH/T. By this, dS = -dSsurr. And as dStotal = dS + dSsurr, does it follow that at constant temperature and pressure, the entropy of the universe doesn't change as the equation reduces to dStotal = 0?

My other question is similar and refers to the Gibbs Free Energy equation, dG = dH - TdS. As this is under constant pressure and temperature, can't dS be replaced by dH/T, which would effectively reduce the equation to dG = 0?

Naturally, I get the feeling that there's more to it than that. I guess I'm just missing something. I mean, from my perspective, it seems as though entropy and free energy and even enthalpy can be interpreted differently based on these equations...

Oh and last question. Are the elements in their most stable states at standard temperatures simply defined to have a standard gibbs free energy of formation of 0, since that can't be shown by the dG = dH - TdS equation as they have nonzero entropies?

Thank you very much for even reading this. I've found since I started college that chemistry is very interesting when it's taught in a way that's understandable, far different from my high school experience.

Sponsored Links