April 29, 2024, 12:39:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How many moles of hydrogen gas can be produced from the passage of x electrons?  (Read 9135 times)

Offline cncbmb

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Source: 2007 U.S. Local Chemistry Olympiad

Water can be decomposed by the passage of an electric
current according to the equation

How many moles of can be produced from the
passage of electrons? Ignore the question mark. I don't understand why it is there.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=234658
Borek responded to this problem with a question last year by asking "How many electrons needed per each H2 molecule?" You can see from the link above that there was no indication Asian Girl understood what Borek was pointing out. I don't understand either, except I don't even know why electrons would correspond to each H2 molecule, I don't see how to solve this in any of my chemistry textbooks, and I am having difficulty searching for this online.

How would we determine this how many electrons needed per each H2 molecule? Why would a certain number of electrons correspond to a mole of a substance? I don't see any electrons in the chemical equation.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
2H+ + 2e- = H2
AWK

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Hello,

The piece of information missing from the question (which is probably intentional) is that the change from water to hydrogen and oxygen does does not happen directly.

Initially, water self-ionizes into H30+ and OH- ions

2 H2O (l)  H3O+ (aq) + OH (aq)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-ionization_of_water

As these (electrically charged) ions are present (at low levels) an electric current can be carried in the liquid.

Now to the question

How many moles of  H2(g) can be produced from the passage of  4.8 x 1021 electrons?

Look at the equation for the discharge of the H3O+ at the cathode to produce hydrogen (a more detailed version of what AWK has written)

2H3O+ + 2e- → H2 + 2H2O

What are the mole ratios in this equation?

How many moles is equivalent to  4.8 x 1021 electrons?

How can you combine this information to calculate the number of moles of H2(g)

Clive

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Let's imagine the setup of how current is passed through water. You have a cathode and an anode immersed in a tank of water. The electric current flows from the anode to cathode via the water. The flow of electron is opposite of the conventional current.

So what happens?
At the cathode: 2H+ (aq) + 2e -> H2 (g)
At the anode: 4OH- (aq) -> 2H2O (l) + O2 (g) + 4e

2 electrons is needed to produce 1 molecular hydrogen

Moles of H2 produced = (4.8*10^21) / [2*(6.023*10^23)] = 3.98*10-3 moles
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline cncbmb

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thanks, everyone.
I understand now.

Sponsored Links