April 26, 2024, 12:52:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Endothermic reactions and electrolysis ?  (Read 11626 times)

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Endothermic reactions and electrolysis ?
« on: January 29, 2009, 07:40:48 AM »
Is it correct to define electrolysis as an endothermic reaction since one has to introduce energy (in the form of electric current) for the decomposition reactions to occur?

Thanks

Clive

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
Re: Endothermic reactions and electrolysis ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 07:59:55 AM »

Dear cliverlong;

You may also think about the galvanic cell as its opposite/reverse process.
(Or about accumulators.)

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »

Dear cliverlong;

You may also think about the galvanic cell as its opposite/reverse process.
(Or about accumulators.)

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

I am uncomfortable with the statement

"the galvanic cell as its opposite/reverse process"

as, basically, I don't believe it to be true - even though I have read it many times.

If the statement was true then considering the electrolysis of aqueous sodium chloride to generate hydrogen and chlorine, we would expect bubbling hydrogen and chlorine over platinum electrodes in a brine solution to generate a potential betwen the electrodes and an electric current in an external circuit. This does not happen. Electrochemical cells are more specific in their construction and operation.

I agree that electrochemical cells and electrolysis are related but they ar enot mirror opposites.

So, my question remains. Can electrolysis be used as an example of an endothermic chemical reaction? (I think it can but I'm looking for views on that).

Thanks

Clive

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 04:20:03 PM »

Dear cliverlong;

I didn't imply with my statement that all and every electrolysis has a galvanic cell as its reverse!

But for example in a car battery it is the case and therein you store energy by an "electrolyse" and you get most back by it as a galvanic cell.
IMHO: In case your statement would be true, then the galvanic cell must be exothermic.
But that the accumulator get warm/hot has another cause; it's because every has an inner resistor and as soon as you get current of it you heat it too.

You may also think about, that an electrolytic cell is also all times a resistor with its consequences!
Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Sponsored Links