March 29, 2024, 01:32:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Suggestions for a spectacular high school project  (Read 5888 times)

Offline Suiram1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Suggestions for a spectacular high school project
« on: January 29, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »
Later this year, i will be having a project in my chemistry class. I want to do something really spectacular, but I'm not sure what.

My first thought was  ::) thermite, since it's a powerful reaction, with high temperatures and sparks and such, but I probably won't be allowed to do that (i have a sane teacher ).

Last year someone did some research with Diet Coke/Mentos, which I could do, but I won't repeat them.

What else is possible to do. Im in the middle of high school (I think, I'm a Norwegian and don't know the American school system too much), but I like high difficulties ;)

So, does anyone have any suggestions for something between Coke/Mentos and Thermite that (barely) won't get my teacher fired?

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Re: Suggestions for a spectacular high school project
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:40:10 PM »
Do you know how the project will be marked? Always useful to know what you will be given credit for.

I'm guessing something that "covers" several areas of chemistry will gain high marks.

So I'm thinking something that requires measurements and data analysis. Ooooh , real chemistry - that's novel ! Something where you can propose a hypothesis and test it with real data you have collected.

How about something to do with redox potentials of transition metals? The reason for that is the different oxidations states are highly coloured - so that might give the "Spectacular" dimension you are looking for.

Or how about something to do with trends of properties across a period or down a group? Rates of change of colour in some reaciton according to changes in temperature or  concentration of solutions?

Clive

Offline Suiram1

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:52:06 PM »
Haha, I like the thought of "real chemistry". Probably the way to go as my interprtation of "spectacular" probably is more pyrotechnics than chemistry ;) Explosions and such would be preferred, though ;D

I suppose It will be marked, but I don't know how. I'm not really concerned about it either, as I probably will get top marks at the end of the year anyway

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 05:16:43 PM »
Good luck getting a teacher to let you blow something up.  The best I'd hope for is maybe getting to blow up a balloon filled with hydrogen.

Offline Suiram1

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 02:20:56 AM »
The most explosive experiment we've done is throwing alkaline metals in water. Hydrogen is maybe a way to go. Ive been thinking about leading hypogen gas out in a bowl of soapy water, making a collum of hydrogen filled bubbles. I think she'll allow us to do that if whe name it "production of hydrogen" or something. I think I have to ask her a little more about it. It's a bit out in the future, we were just told we could start to think about what to do. . .

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 02:50:43 AM »
Thermite is a good way of getting your face burnt off or one of your classmates.   

Maybe you should stick to the old vinegar and baking soda reaction; throw some purple food coloring in to make it spectacular.

On a serious note; thermite is dangerous.  Molten iron is no joke.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 01:14:11 PM »
why not develop a chemical propulsion system and add some wheels to it?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Suiram1

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 02:37:17 PM »
why not develop a chemical propulsion system and add some wheels to it?

How would you add the wheels?
)

Upon googleing "chemical propulsion" a few hits mentioned rockets. Is it possible to add a rocket instead of wheels?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »
It is up to you. It is your project. I was thinking along the line of a toy railway track or miniature road lane to create a circuit whereby a small miniature vehicle, attached with the chemical propulsion system, would run. It would be a home-made improvised version of the choo-choo train.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Suiram1

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 07:59:41 AM »
How would you make the chemical propilsion system? It's something I'm not familliar with

Sponsored Links