April 19, 2024, 08:44:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to set up an equation without knowing individual masses  (Read 2844 times)

Offline bumblebee2127

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to set up an equation without knowing individual masses
« on: February 04, 2009, 02:03:47 AM »
A solid contains CaCl2, CaI2, and sugar and weighs X grams.  It is dissolved in water to give sugar (sucrose)
molecules, Ca2+, Cl-, and I-.  The total number of moles of calcium in this solid sample is Y.  After this the solution which contains the original amounts of chloride and iodide, is treated with sufficient AgNO3 soln to precipitate the Cl- and I- as AgCl(s) and AgI(s). The precipitate is isolated, dried, and weighed and found to weigh Z grams.  The sugar remains in soln and is not affected.

a) Call the weight of CaCl2 in the original solid x and the weight of CaI2 y.  Using the notation AgCl for the formula weights, set up equations defining the stoichiometry of the problem, which when solved will permit you to find the unknowns x and y from the experimental data Y and Z.

b) Suppose X=41.2683 g, Y=0.140524 mol, and Z=48.5083 g. Find the percentage by weight of each of the three compounds in the original solid mixture.

I've written equations and such but I can't figure out how to make it so that you can solve for x and y.  I've tried writing separate equations but that doesn't work because you don't know the individual masses of AgCl and AgI.  I think I can figure out the rest of it once I get the equation right.   Is it safe to assume that 2Y is the number of moles of I and Cl since for every Ag there should be 2 I's or Cl's.

4AgNO3 + CaCl2 +  CaI2 ::equil:: 2AgCl(s) + 2AgI(s) +4NO3- + 2Ca2+
So far I've come up with : 4AgNO3 + x + y = Z + 40.078Y + 4NO3-
But this won't work because you have two unknowns.  And I don't even know if that's right.  It seems like you would need 2 equations but you can't because you don't know individual masses of AgCl(s) and AgI(s).  If you can I need an answer to this by morning, I would have done it yesterday but I didn't have time.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:24:23 AM by bumblebee2127 »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How to set up an equation without knowing individual masses
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 03:46:20 AM »
How does sum of I- and Cl- relate to Y?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline bumblebee2127

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:29:35 AM »
There should be 2 moles of Cl or I for every mole of Ca.  I have realized that.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »
That's the second equation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links