April 29, 2024, 04:29:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Diels-Alder reaction  (Read 6808 times)

Offline physstudent1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Diels-Alder reaction
« on: February 04, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »

This is the reaction I thought that it would form a cyclohexane with CH3 and H3C=O groups on neighboring carbons trans with a double bond on the opposite side of the ring.  This isn't the answer though, I may be having some confusion about if it should be endo or exo product although I have tried them both in trans with wedges and dashes and both are wrong I'm not really sure can someone help.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Diels-Alder reaction
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 07:15:29 PM »
Can you show the product you are drawing?

Offline physstudent1

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 07:22:46 PM »

Offline physstudent1

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »
anyone know why this is wrong?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:43:53 PM by physstudent1 »

Offline noodlesoup

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »
if i m not wrong, it should be exo. i think you draw the subtituents as endo only when your diene is the ring, but in this case, it is not, so it should be exo. from your product picture, it looks reasonable to me. it is trans, so the methyl group you would use dash line and the the remaining substistuent you would use a solid or wedge line to show the trans relationship.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:02 PM »
I think you should be forming the endo product.  The transition state with the electron withdrawing substituent (assuming it has sp/sp2 hybridized components underneath the diene is most stable because of p orbital overlap.

Offline physstudent1

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:02:06 PM »
but im getting it wrong :(

Offline kiwi

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:49:47 AM »
I think you should be forming the endo product.  The transition state with the electron withdrawing substituent (assuming it has sp/sp2 hybridized components underneath the diene is most stable because of p orbital overlap.

seconded. from my back-of-an-envelope sketch i get the enantiomer of the product you have drawn, although obviously there will be only diastereoselectivity so your enantiomer should work too.

Offline physstudent1

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:56:21 AM »
I tried inputting the enatiomer after my first attempt was wrong..(just on a guess) but I still got it wrong :(

Offline physstudent1

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 09:04:32 AM »
UGH, looks like I was getting it right all along but I had the H's on the diagram which were supposed to be implied ...sigh anyway, I know endo is usually favored but how do I know which subsituent on the dienophile will be the endo ones is it always the ones on the left?  How do I know which are the exo and if endo is usually favored when will it be exo addition? Also does this only really matter if I'm adding it to a cyclic diene?

Offline kiwi

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 07:44:35 PM »
UGH, looks like I was getting it right all along but I had the H's on the diagram which were supposed to be implied ...sigh anyway, I know endo is usually favored but how do I know which subsituent on the dienophile will be the endo ones is it always the ones on the left?  How do I know which are the exo and if endo is usually favored when will it be exo addition? Also does this only really matter if I'm adding it to a cyclic diene?

if you think about the transition state its relatively easy. it helps to have a set of molecular models to get it straight in your head. your dienophile is normally going to be an electron-deficient alkene, with an ester/ketone/aldehyde group on one end. The pi-system of this electron withdrawing group interacts with the diene, such that the favoured transition state has the electron withdrawing group directly under/over the diene. so if you can sketch that on a piece of paper (or build it in models) then its quite clear what the dominant products will be.

Sponsored Links