March 28, 2024, 08:38:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reflux  (Read 19389 times)

Offline Flawles

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Reflux
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »
Yo, I think this is the right forum to post this in..

Got a few questions -
In a reflux setup, is there any difference in using a coil condenser and a normal condenser?

And when a synth/recipe calls for ice cold water circulating the condenser, how is that done exactly?

And the last one - In this reflux setup (pic) is there a reason for the balloon connected to the opposite end of the flask?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Reflux
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:26:53 PM »
Yo, I think this is the right forum to post this in..

Got a few questions -
In a reflux setup, is there any difference in using a coil condenser and a normal condenser?

Dunno.  Maybe just the way the experiment is set up.

And when a synth/recipe calls for ice cold water circulating the condenser, how is that done exactly?

There's a hint just off-screen of your photo.  There's a cooler pictured, it probably contains ice and water, and a peristaltic pump, to move just the water, thorough the condenser.

And the last one - In this reflux setup (pic) is there a reason for the balloon connected to the opposite end of the flask?

Many possible reasons, the setup may not allow for hood ventilation, or it may be used to seal a fixed amount of inert gas, maybe argon, because it is kinda expensive.  Pretty much your whole pictured setup has a "discount" look.  Maybe, the photo-op just couldn't be setup on a day with more "polish" to the setup.

But then, given the source page of the image, I'm not surprised.

http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/

I'm sure glad I wasn't at work when I started to browse that. ;D
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:05:10 AM »
It looked like a drug making apparatus, but for some reason I clicked your link at work.  Hopefully, I won't have to explain that one!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:45:38 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:16:10 AM »
It looked like a drug making apparatus, but for some reason I clicked your link at work.  Hopefully, I won't have to explain that one!

My link?  You may have missed the point, the image in the original posting wasn't hosted on chemicalforums.com, but hot-linked from the source page -- everyone who browsed this thread has been logged (if logging was enabled on their local network) as accessing that page, just by browsing this thread, right click the image, and see.

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:45:42 AM »

Dear Flawles;

I think that for once, Arkcon's explanations need to be a little specified:

A.)    The big difference between a Liebig Condenser and a coil condenser (= Graham Condenser) lays in the much higher effectiveness of cooling and efficiency in condensing for the Graham Condenser.
B.)   Arkcon's answer is correct, but it should also be noticed, that in such a case at least a Graham Condenser is indicated to make any sense!
C.)    Of the same importance as the inertness of the system is also the protection against collecting water from the environment, especially in case you have to cool with ice water.

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline typhoon2028

• Mole Snacks: +18/-12
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:59:50 AM »

My link?  You may have missed the point, the image in the original posting wasn't hosted on chemicalforums.com, but hot-linked from the source page -- everyone who browsed this thread has been logged (if logging was enabled on their local network) as accessing that page, just by browsing this thread, right click the image, and see.

Hey, no big deal, I wasn't blaming you for anything.  I was drawn to clicking the link like a moth to a lamp.  I realize what you are saying about the image being hotlinked to the posting, and not having to click the actual link to come up in the browser log of my work's network.  However, that would have been much easier for me to explain then actually clicking the link, as I did.  I am surprised "websense" didn't block my access to the website.

On a side note:  Why is post in the "Materials Forum?"  Maybe I misinterpret what should be posted in a forum labeled "Materials Forum." 

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »
Probably, since the original source uses the web handle 'rhodium', a google search leads someone right to this sub-board of this forum.  But when I saw the sheet draped behind the flask, in the photo, that looked to me like, "Someone doesn't want us to see what's behind in the photo, why would someone care about that?" Then I searched out the link, and it was pretty obvious.

Look at me, sitting here at work, commenting on this thread.  I sure hope the IT dept doesn't have the time to notice little old me, contract employee.

Offline Mitsunobo

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:39:58 PM »
1. Just like some of the previous posts, in the coiled condenser, there are more surface area in contact between the product and the coolant giving you better condensation. This can be a good choice when dealing with very volatile compounds.

2.You just need to attached your inlet and outlet tube in a controlled water bath (or ice bath) to get the desired temperature of coolant.

3. My guess for the last one is that the experiment is done under an inert gas and an elevated temperature so the balloon is there to provide the inert gas (N2 or Ar) while the reflux condenser allows you to heat the reaction flask.

Offline Flawles

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 06:01:38 PM »
I just asked, and it's a vapor containment unit.
But is that a balloon, or is there any other way to create a makeshift VCU?

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 08:15:50 PM »
No drug synthesis for you.

Offline Flawles

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 11:19:16 PM »
I obviously don't have the knowledge to do it jesus.
I'm not gonna get my hands on dangerous chems when I don't even know how to work a condenser calm down..

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 11:55:18 PM »
Funny, seems you're trying to get exactly the knowledge you're missing right here.

Offline Flawles

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 01:29:12 AM »
Why are you butthurt sir?

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 08:03:41 AM »
I blame the horse.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 08:21:41 PM »
I blame the horse.

:o   ;D  Priceless, sir, just priceless.  I would make that my sig, if I had one.  No explanation included, just the remark.

Sponsored Links