April 19, 2024, 10:18:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What's your purpose?  (Read 14208 times)

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
What's your purpose?
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:32:48 PM »
Hi all, may i ask what is your purpose of helping out in this forum and those who asked questions, do you just ask and copy down to your papers or actually learn? Well because of the "Total time logged in", it makes me realized how much time i have spent on this forum and asking myself is it worth my time? I could have be better off doing my own things and even with my loved ones. Then i think again, perhaps helping out in this forum keeps me fresh in chemistry as i will be away for 2 years before going university and do something chemistry-related. I don't know if they actually learnt because i have seen many asking same type of questions over again. Afterall, i guess i stay on this forum is for myself. What about you?
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: What's your purpose?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:19:11 PM »
Try to stay fresh on material and help people at the same time.  Good combo.  I am, apparently, not a good helper though, as is indicated by my minus snack count =P

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:35:13 PM »
Ha, no. I think you are pretty good especially on Organic forum! Well, positive snack still. ;D
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:59:01 PM »
I originally joined because I needed help.  Then I thought I should return the favor, so I started trying to respond to questions and such.  Then I decided it was nice to brush up on my chem, and now I waste my whole day on this site, lol.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 03:25:57 AM »
At first I was just working on my site SEO, later I have found I like it :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 08:49:09 AM »
macman104: Is that because you're the admin now so you have to spend more time to maintain this site? Anyway great job! :) I used to waste my whole day on this site too - reading up threads and thinking the best answers. But i don't do it anymore, i will reply the thread as quick as i could.

Borek: Ha yes this forum is good!

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:15:20 AM »
Astrokel:  Nope, I probably drop just about as much time now as I did earlier.  I just spend a lot of time coming back to the site seeing if there are new posts and such.  It's like, if I'm doing work on my computer, or browsing the internet and I'm bored, I'll open up the forums and see if there are new posts.

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 11:09:46 AM »

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »
ARGOS++: I realized you have been doing that, that's a good way to save time. Why is there no sticky for each topics to prevent the same thing from coming up again and also they could refer to it too?

Offline KYPowerlifter

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 02:06:01 PM »
I recently found this site. My interest here is in gaining a broad scope of chemistry knowledge. I graduated from college many years ago and my degree was in Philosophy/Logic, so I don't have the best background for chem knowledge. However, I was always interested in the sciences, have legions of books on them. (I even started grad school in Mathematics but quit.)

Eventually I hope to contribute here but for now this site provides a place for interrogatories. I think the Organic Chemistry section will eventually interest me most.
But it is the knowledge of necessary and eternal truths which distinguishes us from mere animals, and gives us reason and the sciences, raising us to knowledge of ourselves and God. It is this in us which we call the rational soul or mind. -GWL

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 12:56:59 AM »
The wildly inaccurate total time you've been logged in feature has been removed.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 03:37:50 AM »
Feel better without looking at the time i've logged in. Also, good to hear it is wildly inaccurate ;D Thanks Mitch

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 10:24:19 AM »
I came here because I wanted to brush back up on my general chemistry. There are so many things you learn in general chemistry that I feel are important that you can quickly forget when doing research in a specific field. Maybe not forget, but just not be as adequate as one should. I knew having to think about how to answer questions would do so.

Plus, a lot of the research I do is waiting and got nothing else to do.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 12:35:12 PM »
It's hard to summarize thoroughly why I keep stopping by.  Basically, I was going through some severe withdrawal symptoms -- I'd decided that my old haunt, the sci.chem USENET group, was hopelessly infiltrated with sporge, and I do like reading about chemistry.  So I found this page with a Google search.  I find it more interesting than most modern TV shows, or movies, or other passive entertainment.  It's fun, to see someone arrive with a genuine problem, and gradually, get the 'ah-a' moment they need to crack the problem.

The fact is, I really don't know much about: organic chemistry, physical chemistry, kinetics, and thermodynamics.  I should be paying closer attention, and trying to crack those problems myself.  But I don't.  I seem to gravitate more to the easy questions, or Citizen Chemist-type questions. 

'Course, I do have some questions of my own, like my crazy book search.  It's nice to know this place is here, and browsing I can always refresh my memory for some topics, without even noticing I have.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Fleaker

• Mole Snacks: +11/-0
  • Synthetic Chemist
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 01:49:23 PM »
I once signed up here long ago when I found this forum. Then I forgot my password (probably long since been deleted as an inactive account). I have four other forums that I spend most of time on, two of them aren't really chemistry related (metal casting, fabrication, machining, blacksmithing those type of topics).

Several months back I was talking to some member friends on sciencemadness.org that recommended me to here. I checked it out and saw a lot of posts by Woelen, Jdurg, and others that I know from sciencemadness.org and I wanted to read their posts here too.

I like this forum because it tolerates beginners well and is focused on chemistry and helping people. Here there is a good attitude all around and no topics that I do not like to see discussed (like practical explosives or druggie type things).

To be truly honest, what really attracted me here were the chemblogs.

I need to take some time to seriously explore this forum.
Neither flask nor beaker.

Sponsored Links