April 28, 2024, 05:32:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What degree?  (Read 6784 times)

Offline chrisbb

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
What degree?
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »
Hi all.
I graduate in May, if all things go to plan :) I'll graduate as a Chem Lab tech. I applied to 2 universites in Canada. Both for a 3rd Chem. Degree (BSc Chem).

I heard back from one yesterday, but they're offering me a general science degree.
Would you recommend that I try and get into the Chem dgree (no matter the uni) or accept the offer for the general science degree?

Thanks.
Chris

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-9
Re: What degree?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:19:47 PM »
Can you tell us where your Chem Lab degree is from or what Canadian universities you applied to?

Its been awhile but when I graduated from Canadian universities, I know many of the major ones will have B.Sc. Chem programs and with your background I would imagine that you could probably jump in at the 3rd year level or so. I'm not sure why a university would only offer you a general science degree, most require you to declare a major in your second year. Please explain if I'm misunderstanding your situation or question.

Offline chrisbb

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 10:46:31 PM »
hi hi.
The Chem. lab is a diploma from St. Clair college in windsor ON.

The 2 uni's I applied to are, Windsor and Lakehead. Lakehead uni gave me a conditional acceptance into the general science degree (not sure yet as I'm waiting on info thru the mail).

I did apply for the transfer into the 2nd yr of the Chem. Degree, but I don't know if they're accepting me yet. Thats when they offered me the gen. science degree.. I guess thats all lol.

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:40:27 PM »
If a  B.Sc. Chem is your goal, I would keep asking how to be accepted in that program. It seems that the U of Windsor has some agreements with St. Clair college so I would imagine (but of course I could be wrong) that they would accept your chemistry credits. Lakehead is a long way from Windsor but a change of scenery is always refreshing. What about the Toronto/London area universities? Good luck

Offline chrisbb

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 05:47:50 AM »
I would like to go to Windsor more than anything, as its closer to home, and I can still work.
Lakehead was just an option if they game me more credits towards the degree, and allowed me to complete school even faster.

Not really wanting to move if I can avoid it, but living in Thunderbay won't kill me.
Yes, Lakehead, Windsor and a few others have transfer agreements. Trouble is that I don't have the necessary grades to get in. That is probably why LU came back with just the general science..

If you were an employer, would you rather have a person with a BSc Chem, or a BSc. General Science?
Thanks.
Chris

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:12:31 AM »
Hmm, yes grades are the key.

I'm not in the industry sector anymore (and am more familiar with the US scene anyway) but if you're looking for jobs in chemistry, the BSc chem would be favoured. I think a B.Sc (general science) is fine for those looking for education jobs in middle or high school or to complement another degree.  Some employers only want lab techs with diplomas but of course that limits how far you can move up.

If you need better grades, can you not retake those courses that gave you trouble? I had some friends who did this and it helped but check to see what your college does with the grades in this case. Some will replace the poorer grade with the better one but both appear on transcripts. Yes, it does delay and cost more but I guess if your goal is a BSc Chem to get you the job you want, then do what you need to do to achieve that.

Offline chrisbb

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 05:56:11 PM »
I thought you might say BSc, Chem was the "better one" of the two.
Right yes, the diploma does limit you, guess we'll keep my fingers crossed on the other uni's :)

Yeah, I dont have the desire to re-sit classes etc, plus money is another thing.
I'll have a talk with my professors tomorrow and guess we'll see :)

Thanks for the help.
C.

Sponsored Links