April 26, 2024, 06:10:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ACS analytical exam  (Read 23202 times)

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
ACS analytical exam
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:01:30 PM »
I will be taking the ACS analytical chemistry exam with possibly inadequate preparation, so I may need to do some independent study.  Is there any official or unofficial book out there that tells you what you need to know to pass the test?  Equations that should be memorized, etc.  Every other standardized test in the world has books like this.

Also somebody posted a link to legitimate practice tests but the link is broken.  Could they be posted again?

I searched for this topic already and noticed somebody got flamed and banned for asking a similar question.  I am NOT looking for any inside information or test questions.

Thanks.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: ACS analytical exam
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:59:47 PM »
I'll be taking it at the end of the semester, if you can wait that long to find out, lol.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »
Just took it, if you're still looking for info.

Offline nv198

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:13:52 PM »
I am also taking this test.  Tomorrow actually.
nj_bartel, any advice?  Standardized exams kick my butt!

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:32:58 PM »
pKa, pKb, pH relationships - know them like the back of your hand.  Single most recurring topic, easily.  There are concept questions, but the overwhelming majority of the test is problems, so have your formulas memorized.  If you come across a problem that's going to take a long time to work out, skip it, make a note, and come back to it - all the problems count the same; working out a multiple equilibrium problem is going to count the same as knowing what a coversion dynode in a PMT does (example, wasn't actually on there).  I don't know how your teacher will grade, but it's my understanding there's a fairly hefty curve on it, with the national average of however many right set at a C, or C+.

GL, feel free to ask anything more specific, but won't give specific questions away or anything.

Offline nv198

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 02:41:08 AM »
Thanks, I really appreciate the heads up. 

Sponsored Links