April 20, 2024, 05:42:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Working with DBTL and Acetylacetone and Ethyl Benzyl  (Read 2928 times)

Offline ScottDavidson

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Working with DBTL and Acetylacetone and Ethyl Benzyl
« on: February 10, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »
Hi Guys

I have a dilemma / question for you which I am hoping you may be able to assist on from a chemical/raw material point of view.

We formulated a high build coating which worked well direct to substrate, but the only way we could get it to work was to use a certain accelerated thinner from an automotive paint company (du pont)

We managed to mix up our own formulation of 0.75% DBTL and Butyl Acetate which worked fine, until we had to replace a plasticiser we were using (BBP based) because it was being taken off the market. Now, the only way we can make the coating adhere and dry properly is with this accelerated thinner, and not ours!

I have found that the solvents in this original thinner are 75% Butyl Acetate and then a mixture of  Xylene, BA, 4-methylpentan-2-one (which is MIBK), pentane-2,4-dione ( Acetoacetone; acetylacetone; diacetylmethane; pentanedione cas # 123-54-6)  and ethylbenzene (cas # 100-41-4).

No one seems to be able to find these solvents, and I would like to know if anyone has a suggestion as to why our simple DBTL mixture used to work, and now doesnt (and if possible, some simpler alternatives).

All the best,
Scott

Offline Fleaker

• Mole Snacks: +11/-0
  • Synthetic Chemist
Re: Working with DBTL and Acetylacetone and Ethyl Benzyl
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »
Scott,

I might suggest you try either Brenntag or Univar for bulk solvents (I'm assuming you want these solvents in quantity). If they don't carry it, they can get it. If you're looking for less than tank cars, I know Eastman Kodak has those solvents by the keg.

I use acetoacetone somewhat frequently for organometallics synthesis and it's not cheap. You can send me some as a thank you for helping with the sourcing :P

Regards,

Fleaker
Neither flask nor beaker.

Sponsored Links