April 24, 2024, 04:09:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bisphenol-A  (Read 5009 times)

Offline winkler92

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Bisphenol-A
« on: February 10, 2009, 10:35:18 PM »
Is there any way of testing an aqueous sample for BPA without having to use a Mass Spectrometer or High Performance Liquid Chromatography. I was thinking of doing something with positive feedback related to estrogen. Because BPA imitates estrogen in the human body would any estrogen indicator tests work for the BPA? Or anything along those lines?

Thank You,

Offline gericox

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Re: Bisphenol-A
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:03:58 AM »
What do you mean by "testing" : identification or quantification ?

For quantification you can perform an hydoxyl determination

For identification you can perform FTIR on dried matter, or NMR

Offline winkler92

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:51:54 PM »
Thank You for your help these were great ideas. But, unfortunately this is an experiment that I am conducting at my high school and I am therefore supposed to do the whole process by myself. This being said, my high school does not have access to any type of spectroscopy or HPLC (I only have access to TLC) so those processes are not realistic for me. My first step is to identify that something was leached from a polycarbonate bottle. I was thinking that because BPA is non-polar and has a greater density than water it will be separate and therefore possible to identify if some sort of dye was added to the mixture. Is this possible or would the amount of BPA not be great enough to become visual.

Thank You

Offline gericox

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:17:07 AM »
I think it should be possible to identify BPA with TLC method.
If ther is no ather aromatic derivative you should be able to seeing it with UV lamp.
Find the good eluant system shouldn't be too difficult.

Sponsored Links