March 28, 2024, 12:55:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Action of heat on hydroxides  (Read 23294 times)

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
Action of heat on hydroxides
« on: February 12, 2009, 01:46:27 PM »
Hi,

This one has me stumped. I have googled and looked in various textbooks and I can't find an answer to this question from a CIE IGCSE chemistry paper.

What is the action of heat on

1) Zinc Hydroxide
2) Sodium Hydroxide

If someone could point me in the direction of a resource that describes or discusses this topic I would be most grateful

Thanks

Clive

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: Action of heat on hydroxides
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:15:32 AM »
Zinc Hydroxide changes from colourless to yellow upon heated.  Heat causes the compound to rearrange its structure, thus giving it the yellow colour. Zinc Hydroxide revert to colourless when it cools down.

No colour change happens to Sodium Hydroxide upon heating.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:17:37 AM »
Well, that's kinda a funny question.  What happens when you heat something.  How much do you heat it?  Nothing ever happens to NaOH when you heat it?  It never converts to NaO?  It never melts?  How about NaOH vapor? Yeah, that takes a lot of heat, but they didn't ask cliverlong: to do it, they just asked what happens.  I got a similar "Huh?" moment with this question:  http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=31171.0;topicseen
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »
Zinc Hydroxide changes from colourless to yellow upon heated.  Heat causes the compound to rearrange its structure, thus giving it the yellow colour. Zinc Hydroxide revert to colourless when it cools down.
Ah, this sounds familiar to me. I remember reading this few years back when i was in grade 10. I can't remember what was the reason though. Perhaps zinc peroxide is formed at high temperature? Correct me if i'm wrong.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cliverlong

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »

No colour change happens to Sodium Hydroxide upon heating.
Geodome,

Can you tell me from where you got your information?

Thanks

Clive

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 02:22:44 AM »
unstable hydroxides on heating lose a water molecule and get converted into oxides.Now we can see that NaOH is a stable hydroxide and  zinc hydroxide is less stable.
so now you can predict who is going to lose water .
Zinc compounds are white in colour when cold.Zinc oxides are yellow when hot and white when cold.
 I hope this much information is enough to undersatand this question.

Offline cliverlong

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »
unstable hydroxides on heating lose a water molecule and get converted into oxides.Now we can see that NaOH is a stable hydroxide and  zinc hydroxide is less stable.
so now you can predict who is going to lose water .
Zinc compounds are white in colour when cold.Zinc oxides are yellow when hot and white when cold.
 I hope this much information is enough to undersatand this question.
Yes, thank you for the additional information. My follow on question was where is that information documented so I can reference it to support this explanation? None of the sources I have searched describe this behaviour of hydroxides.

Clive
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:15:07 PM by cliverlong »

Sponsored Links