April 28, 2024, 08:02:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: benzly peroxide+ soduim bicarbonate  (Read 6936 times)

chemical

benzly peroxide+ soduim bicarbonate
« on: May 08, 2005, 07:20:28 AM »
i was bored brushing my teeth and noticed that my toothbrush had sodium bicarbonate then i looked at my cupbored and saw a spopt remover which had benzly peroxide and was wondering would i get a neutrilasation reaction by mixing them? i tried but i didnt see any visable reaction, is it cos that the benzene ring is too stable, or that the entropy levels are low?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 07:21:07 AM by chemical »

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
Re:benzly peroxide+ soduim bicarbonate
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 02:37:16 PM »
You have two problems:

1. Any concentration of benzoyl peroxide in your spot remover is going to be very low; most likely, the sodium bicarbonate isn't the main component of your toothpaste either.

2. Benzoyl peroxide is not a carboxylic acid.  You're probably thinking of benzylic or benzoic acid.  Those should react, although, depending on the concentrations and mobility within your toothpase, who knows.  Benzoyl peroxide doesn't have very acidic protons.

chemical

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 06:43:06 AM »
ah yes i got confused with benzoic acid, and your right the mobility within the 2 substance wont be very good, thanks for the tip!  ;D

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 04:50:02 PM »
You know, it's kind of funny how benzoyl peroxide is used as an anti-Acne application, but in a concentrated form is actually a fairly sensitive/powerful explosive.  Makes me wonder if some pimply faced teenage chemist back in the 1800's was working with the stuff when it blew up in his face.  A few days later, he then noticed that his Acne was gone.  ;) :D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links