April 26, 2024, 12:20:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Appling as a chem undergrad to Grad programs outside chemistry??  (Read 5822 times)

Offline nobOdy98

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Appling as a chem undergrad to Grad programs outside chemistry??
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:26:52 AM »
Well, I know it can be done as my boss is a chem undergrad and a oceanography Phd, but I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of programs I can apply to.

I am graduating this semester with my BS in Chem and plan on working for a while as I really need a break (I took the long route to a chem degree). Eventually, I would like to go back to school to improve my chances of advancement in the workplace, but I would like to possibly try something other than chemistry. I was thinking geology or an environmental science/engineering program but is this impossible without first getting an undergrad degree in the respective field?

Thanks/

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Appling as a chem undergrad to Grad programs outside chemistry??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:11:03 AM »
It's probably possible to do so especially if there is significant overlap between chemistry and the other field (certainly the case with geology and environmental science).  I know many chemistry majors who are in PhD programs studying some type of biology (molecular and cellular biology, biomedical sciences, biochemistry, immunology, biophysics, etc).

The best thing to do would be to contact the departments to which you are interested in applying.  They should be able to tell you whether they would accept an applicant with a bachelors in chemistry.

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 01:26:13 PM »
It's probably possible to do so especially if there is significant overlap between chemistry and the other field (certainly the case with geology and environmental science).  I know many chemistry majors who are in PhD programs studying some type of biology (molecular and cellular biology, biomedical sciences, biochemistry, immunology, biophysics, etc).

The best thing to do would be to contact the departments to which you are interested in applying.  They should be able to tell you whether they would accept an applicant with a bachelors in chemistry.

When I was in the UK, one of the biggest areas of employment for chem graduates outside the field was Accountancy (totally unrelated area but seems to attract a lot of chemists)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline nobOdy98

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »
Thanks for the info, I have sent out some emails to prospective programs, hopefully they have good new for me!

Sponsored Links