April 18, 2024, 02:10:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 2-methylcyclohexanol dehydration product NMR  (Read 9912 times)

Offline ijsup

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
2-methylcyclohexanol dehydration product NMR
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:16:50 PM »
 Hi. I just did a lab where we dehydrated 2-methylcyclohexanol. We were told it would form 1-methylcyclohexene and/or 3-methylcyclohexene and we are asked to determine the major product. I figure the major product is 1-methylcyclohexene because it is the most substituted C=C. However, we are supposed to determine it using C13 NMR. We are given the "hint" to figure out how the spectra of the 1-and 30 methylcyclohexenes would differ. I don't know how to figure this out. I'm not sure what the difference between the two isomer's NMR would be. Any suggestions?

Offline aldoxime_amine

• Mole Snacks: +7/-4
Re: 2-methylcyclohexanol dehydration product NMR
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:59:54 AM »
alpha effect of the methyl on the sp2 hybridized carbon in the major product will cause a downfield shift while in other product, gamma effect of the methyl group will cause an upfield shift on the sp2 hybridized carbon.

Please correct me if i am wrong. I am new to spectroscopy.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: 2-methylcyclohexanol dehydration product NMR
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:44:51 AM »
If you didn't decouple the 13C spectra, you could tell a di-sub olefin from a tri-sub.  You could also do DEPT experiments, but that may be outside the scope of your lab.

aldoxime_amine: I think that's ok, too.  sp2 centers are more electronegative than sp3, so if you can identify the methyl signal in the 13C, you should be able to see which one is more downfield, and that will tell you which one is tri-sub.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links