April 26, 2024, 03:10:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Various Ice Bath Temperatures:  (Read 35059 times)

Offline beheada

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Various Ice Bath Temperatures:
« on: February 19, 2009, 11:23:22 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how to make an ice bath which will run at -20C constantly. I know dry ice/acetone is -78C and ice water is 0C, so I'm thinking maybe a regular ice/water bath with a massive amount of salt to drop the temperature to roughly -20C? Anyone know if there's a thermodynamic equation to find out the correct amount of chloride ions to drop the temp to a specific range?

Thanks

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Various Ice Bath Temperatures:
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:33:13 AM »
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Morderkerl

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:34:32 AM »
if you add acetone to ice water, even a few ml, it can reduce the temperature to about -5C, so try that also, im not sure about any thermodynamic equation

Offline mreff555

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:38:22 AM »
Freezing point depression is a colligative property. You can use the FPD equation but I don't think saltwater is going to work for that temperature. What about diluted ethanol?

FPD help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing-point_depression

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »
You can also search this forum, recipies for various cold bath temps have been posted several times.  Personally, if I need an ice bath, I use one, if I need dry ice/acetone, I'll use that.  But when I needed several intermediate temps, for a study, I used a controlled cooler.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline mreff555

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:07:36 PM »
Yes, but dry Ice is cheap. I would see were 70% ipa gets you with dry ice. I know it will get down to about -7F in the freezer, with dry ice I'm sure you could drop it significantly lower.
You can also search this forum, recipies for various cold bath temps have been posted several times.  Personally, if I need an ice bath, I use one, if I need dry ice/acetone, I'll use that.  But when I needed several intermediate temps, for a study, I used a controlled cooler.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 12:14:25 PM »
isopropanol is a suitable subsitute for acetone (not as flammable).  With dry ice/isopropanol, you'll get -78.

Seriously, use carbon tet and dry ice.  the only problem is the carbon tet usually solidifies, so be ready to let it warm slowly or try to chisel it out of the solid carbon tet.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline kiwi

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +20/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:40:11 PM »
dry ice/ ethanol/ ethylene glycol. it gives baths with temperatures you can tune over the range -78 -> -10 by altering the % ethanol in the mix. the baths also keep their temperatures for quite a long time unattended. i use this for anything between zero and -78. there is a j. chem. ed. article on it out there

Sponsored Links