March 29, 2024, 05:37:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ClO2  (Read 8097 times)

emm

ClO2
« on: May 09, 2005, 09:11:50 AM »
I would appreciate if somene can answer me can ClO2 destroy protoza, Ciliata, Nematoda, Oligochaeta, Nais sp. ).
Thx.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:ClO2
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 03:25:37 PM »
are those organisms fungi? ClO2 is a pretty strong oxidising agent. Perhaps..
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

emm

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 04:41:34 AM »
One of them are worms and they are breathing through all surface of his body. Is it possible to destroy with ClO2 this kind of organisms?

GCT

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 12:34:58 PM »
Well, i imagine so, try pouring some of it over your own skin ;)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 03:10:54 AM »
i would suggest you to experiment with one worm.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

GCT

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 12:23:29 PM »
That would be pretty cruel, I'm almost positive that Cl02 will kill the worm, it is a fairly strong agent, what's the formula for bleach by the way?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 12:47:52 PM »
Bleach is a solution of sodium (or calcium depending on your location) hypochlorite.

Sodium hypochlorite is NaOCl.
Calcium Hypochlorite is Ca(OCl)2.

In either case, the active compound is the hypochlorite ion ClO-.  

Bleach also has some sodium hydroxide in there to keep the pH at an elevated level since sodium hypochlorite is formed by the action of chlorine gas on some sodium hydroxide.  At low pH, the equillibrium is in favor of chlorine gas and NaOH.  At high pH, the equillibrium rests on the side of sodium hydroxide.

So in a typical bottle of Chlorine Bleach, you have mostly water with about 5% on average sodium hypochlorite, some sodium chloride, and some sodium hydroxide.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

corey2

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 07:03:06 PM »
ClO2 is an unstable gas, very reactive at light, "normal" valence numbers for chlorine are +-1,+3,+5,+7: in ClO2 the valence number for chlorine is +4
I think it's a chlorinating agent, as IO2 and ICl2 are Iodinating agents.

More information for "reactivity" with lifeforms:
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chemicals/chlorinedioxidefactsheet.htm

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 10:54:44 PM »
Tyson (the chicken company) uses ClO2 for decontaminating and sterilizing their chickens before shipment.  So, yes, it's an incredibly powerful fungicide/germicide/viricide.

NotAChemistYet

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 07:56:56 PM »
I would appreciate if somene can answer me can ClO2 destroy protoza, Ciliata, Nematoda, Oligochaeta, Nais sp. ).
Thx.
It will kill them all.

Sponsored Links