April 30, 2024, 09:31:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is desorption the of LiBr a physical or chemical phenomenon?  (Read 4338 times)

Offline nchristedem

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Is desorption the of LiBr a physical or chemical phenomenon?
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:36:43 AM »
Consider this reaction:
AB + heat <=> A + B.

AB = low concentration solution of LiBr
A = high concentration solution of LiBr
B = water( vapour)

The forward reaction is called desorption. As it is only the concentration which change after the reaction, can you say that it is a chemical reaction?
We wonder wether it is a physical phenomenaon.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Is desorption the of LiBr a physical or chemical phenomenon?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »
Can you define the difference between a physical and chemical process?

Offline nchristedem

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:51:41 AM »
Can you define the difference between a physical and chemical process?

I think that in chemical processes, final elements (products) are differents from former elements (reactives). In physical phenomena, the chemicl nature of elements before and after the reaction is the same.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 03:46:24 AM »
Ok, but you need to be more specific, or at least more clear.  You say that in a chemical process, the products are different from the reactants.  Would you say that chopping coarse sugar up into powdered sugar constitutes a chemical reaction?  Why or why not?  What is the difference between the reactant and the product?  What are they made of?

Offline nchristedem

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 04:19:39 AM »
Ok, but you need to be more specific, or at least more clear.  You say that in a chemical process, the products are different from the reactants.  Would you say that chopping coarse sugar up into powdered sugar constitutes a chemical reaction?  Why or why not?  What is the difference between the reactant and the product?  What are they made of?

I don't know excatly what is "Chopping coarse sugar up into powdered sugar" (I am not english people). but if i put for example sugar in tea, it is not a chemical reaction since the sugar doesn't react with elements in the tea.
The difference is about the chemical links.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 11:28:31 AM »
Oh sorry, I didn't realize - you speak good English  :P  You are correct - dissolving sugar in tea is not a chemical reaction.  Notice that you said this without noting the amount of sugar going into the tea.  So obviously it doesn't matter whether the tea has 10 grams of sugar per liter tea, or 10 grams of sugar per half liter tea.

Sponsored Links