April 24, 2024, 08:45:44 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Kiln  (Read 9801 times)

Offline KYPowerlifter

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Kiln
« on: February 09, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »
I have been considering improvising a furnace/kiln to produce temps of around 1400 C. Do you guys think something as simple as a ~1m2 fire brick vessel with a removable top and a propane heat source (with a steel? grate to hold a crucible) could do the trick?
But it is the knowledge of necessary and eternal truths which distinguishes us from mere animals, and gives us reason and the sciences, raising us to knowledge of ourselves and God. It is this in us which we call the rational soul or mind. -GWL

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
Re: Kiln
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »

Offline KYPowerlifter

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »
I discussed 'oxyacetylene' with my father, he suggests that. The flame, as you know burns at ~3300 C. I was wondering about its potential cost though?

Perhaps I could create a sort of blast furnace via coal and an 'air' source?

Edit: My dad was a welder years ago, before retiring. I guess that's part of his affinity for oxyacetylene, since he used the torches often in his work...
But it is the knowledge of necessary and eternal truths which distinguishes us from mere animals, and gives us reason and the sciences, raising us to knowledge of ourselves and God. It is this in us which we call the rational soul or mind. -GWL

Offline ARGOS++

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »

Dear KYPowerLifter;

If I remember correctly I have seen small/handy torches (0.5liter & 0.5liter; or even less) only for small services, and I think they are also quite cheap.

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline KYPowerlifter

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
ARGOS++:

Look at this:

http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/popular-mechanics/The-Boy-Mechanic-700-Things-for-Boys-to-Do/Homemade-Pottery-Kiln.html

I think I could use this with the extra bucket over top for a downdraft and the plumber's torch for a heat source? It says one can achieve 1400 C with the torch mentioned.

One does not learn if they not try, eh? Are you familiar with the transliteration from the Greek: "praxis"? Practical wisdom, that's what I am after here :)

One could end up with some Phosphorus from Calcium phosphate with those temps  ;)

Offline ARGOS++

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 05:32:38 AM »

Offline Fleaker

• Mole Snacks: +11/-0
  • Synthetic Chemist
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:40:15 PM »
I strongly suggest you investigate using kaowool or kiln brick.

You can easily make a kiln, I have done so many times.

I suggest you peruse this forum: http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/forums
Neither flask nor beaker.

Offline KYPowerlifter

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:22 PM »
I strongly suggest you investigate using kaowool or kiln brick.

You can easily make a kiln, I have done so many times.

I suggest you peruse this forum: http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/forums

Fleaker:

I am aware of the site, some good ole fashioned improvisation there! However, I am not so certain of his refractory formula :) I am using fire clay powder only. You bring up an interesting point! Did you notice in the article I cited that he mentions using asbestos to fill in? I was thinking of using kaowool. Is that sufficient? I wonder about MgO?  http://www.lmine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LMS&Product_Code=17108-10&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

KYP

Offline Fleaker

• Synthetic Chemist
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:20:05 PM »
Do not use Lionel's website.

There are numerous better ones on the forums. You need to check the forums. The answers to everything you want are there.

If you use kaowool, be sure to wet it down when you work with it. It is very dusty and friable. If you're not careful you'll also end up with the itchies. It makes you very itchy to use it.

If you still can't figure it out, I'd be happy to detail how it's done with pictures.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 04:21:19 PM »
I am confused
Here is a link for a ceramic kiln (there are many others) that can go up to Cone 10 (2345 to 2426 F or 1285 to 1330 C)

http://www.cuzickpottery.com/kiln.htm

Offline Fleaker

• Synthetic Chemist
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 07:59:24 PM »
Confused why?

It's $70 or so build a decent size kiln that'll do just as hot, why not build one?
It's a fun, entertaining project and you will get the satisfaction of having built it yourself.

Sponsored Links