April 25, 2024, 10:35:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the precise definition of Lewis acid/base  (Read 14579 times)

Offline o1ocups

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What is the precise definition of Lewis acid/base
« on: February 22, 2009, 02:17:22 AM »
I know that a Lewis acid is an electron-pair acceptor, and a Lewis base is an electron-pair donor. So in this case: CH3NH2(g)+HBr(g)  :rarrow: CH3NH4Br(s), HBr is the Lewis acid and the other one is the base, right? But do they have to form a covalent bond at the end?

In this reaction: Al(NO3)3(s)+6H2O(l)  :rarrow: Al(H2O)63+(aq)+NO3-(aq), can the reactants still be classified as Lewis acid and base?

I am just not sure if the electron pair donor and the electron pair acceptor have to form a covalent bond.

Thanks!!

Offline Loyal

• Mole Snacks: +7/-5
Re: What is the precise definition of Lewis acid/base
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:30:02 AM »
Someone can correct me if I am missing something.

The H forms a covalent bond with the N, but the Br itself is not covalently bonded as it became an ion.   Since the CH3NH3 is now a positive ion the bromine likes to hang around unless they are in solution.
Chemistry Student(Senior) at WSU

Offline o1ocups

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:35:19 AM »
But does the product of Lewis acid and base always contain a covalent bond (even if the bond doesn't include all the elements involved)?

Offline o1ocups

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »
I have another related question: are all Brønsted-Lowry acids/bases Lewis acids/bases ?
All the examples of Lewis acids/bases that are given in my book have one single product that is the compound of the two reactants bonded by a covalent bond. Is that the standard form of Lewis acid/base reactions?

Offline Loyal

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »
But does the product of Lewis acid and base always contain a covalent bond (even if the bond doesn't include all the elements involved)?

In most of the examples I can think of I will say yes, but just because of that don't assume that it is only possible for it to form a covalent bond.   

I have another related question: are all Brønsted-Lowry acids/bases Lewis acids/bases ?
All the examples of Lewis acids/bases that are given in my book have one single product that is the compound of the two reactants bonded by a covalent bond. Is that the standard form of Lewis acid/base reactions?

The since a Brønsted-Lowry acid/base involves the transfer of protons(H+) most if not all can be considered Lewis acids.   Lewis took it one step further to explain the fact that not all acids or bases have an OH or a H. 

Offline o1ocups

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 04:37:37 PM »
So Brønsted-Lowry acids/bases also form covalent bonds? I thought they are separate ions.
(for example NH3 +H2O ::equil:: NH4+ + OH-, do NH4+ and OH- form covalent bonds?)

Offline o1ocups

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »
Al(NO3)3(s)+6H2O(l) ::equil:: Al(H2O)63+(aq)+NO3-(aq)

So in this reaction, is Al(NO3)3 the Lewis base since it's the electron-pair donor, and is H2O the Lewis acid because it's the electron-pair acceptor?

Offline o1ocups

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 05:17:47 PM »
Al(NO3)3(s)+6H2O(l) ::equil:: Al(H2O)63+(aq)+NO3-(aq)

So in this reaction, is Al(NO3)3 the Lewis base since it's the electron-pair donor, and is H2O the Lewis acid because it's the electron-pair acceptor?

Even if they are not stuck together at the product side?

Offline Loyal

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 05:34:21 PM »
So Brønsted-Lowry acids/bases also form covalent bonds? I thought they are separate ions.
(for example NH3 +H2O ::equil:: NH4+ + OH-, do NH4+ and OH- form covalent bonds?)

The H itself forms a covalent bond.   Any other bonds are usually ionic.

Sponsored Links