March 29, 2024, 11:55:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A chemical to destroy / stun sweat glands?  (Read 8519 times)

Offline HH

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A chemical to destroy / stun sweat glands?
« on: February 22, 2009, 06:09:06 PM »
Hi, this is a total shot in the dark but i'm wondering if anyone can offer insight.

I'm not a chemist or a researcher of any kind but I have a condition called hyperhidrosis, which is excessive sweating of the palms and soles.

A treatment exists called 'iontophoresis'. This consists of two metal trays, two cables, and a control unit to apply a mild electrical current into a solution in the trays. The trays are usually filled with water. No one knows how it actually works, it's believed the current (which travels through the solution) 'stuns' the sweat glands to stop working, whilst others believe metal from the trays passes through the skin and blocks the glands.

http://www.sweathelp.org/English/PFF_Treatment_Iontophoresis.asp

A stronger solution exists called Glycopyrronium bromide (Glycopyrrolate) which is a  anticholinergic, however it doesn't work for everyone and may not work that well (I use it myself).

For underarm sweating they can remove sweat glands by surgery but no such luck for the hands and feet, so i'm left thinking to myself can there be another chemical of some kind that we can transfer into the skin to destroy the sweat glands? That's why i'm posting to you guys here. If you have any theories i'm all ears. If I could get hold of any of the stuff I would try it on myself.

Thanks in advance.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: A chemical to destroy / stun sweat glands?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 09:04:12 PM »
Sorry, but I think you're going to be out of luck if you're searching for a quick chemical fix to your problem.  I'll leave this thread open to anyone who has had personal experience with this.  I just find it very hard to believe you'll get a suggestion here of a chemical that you could readily get your hands on without a doctor's consent anyway...

Offline HH

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:12:13 PM »
As I say i'd try it on myself, I don't care about doctors consent, there's nothing they can offer.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:56:26 PM »
As I say i'd try it on myself, I don't care about doctors consent, there's nothing they can offer.
Then this topic cannot continue if you will not be seeking a doctor's advice.  Topics that request information for self-medication and the preparation of these medications are not allowed.  I understand you have a particular problem that you are hoping to solve, but for reasons of liability, we can't have these kinds of topics here.

Sponsored Links