March 28, 2024, 04:38:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Helping explain forum rules  (Read 12048 times)

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Helping explain forum rules
« on: February 26, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »
What if...for like the first x times a new member wants to post a new topic, they get a nag screen reminding them about what they should make sure before posting?

Things like:

Make sure you have attempted the problem you are posting about, show your work, etc.  This could only trigger on most popular forums for these types of question (not really like citizen or most of the speciality).

I'm not sure how much work it would be, or if it would even help, but I figured I'd put it out there.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Helping explain forum rules
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:54:32 PM »
I noticed the 'read this before posting' is missing from the header of the page, too.  Maybe that can come back.  Or something to really, really, get them to try to search the boards before they post.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:09:35 PM »
The main thing that made me notice this was so often, the first 4 posts are wasted on, "hi help me", "you need to attempt first", "I did try it, but it didn't work", "show it anyway, it will help".

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »
Hrm ... I have this idea, based on a flash game MPORG I play.  Basically, before you can use the /chat function in that game, you have to play this little "literacy test", where you prove that you can differentiate "you're" and "your"  and things like that.

I don't know how easy it would be for Mitch to implement, but how about something like this:  After you agree to follow the rules, the new user has post access to High School chemistry, and Citizen chemist only.  Maybe, even before that access is granted, there's a little CAPTCHA-like quiz, reminding them to write grammatically correct English and not, "i wuz hopng for help, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

If they want access to Undergraduate Chemistry, then an answer to a chemical trivia question is needed, something like the formula for water.  Access to the Organic Chemistry boards might have a question like what is the generic formula for an ether, with multiple choice options like R-O-R'  and R-O-H.  If you can't get it right, you're told so, and hopefully the user realizes they have to try a little bit, or sod off if they think it's too much work.

If you want access to Analytical Chemistry for professionals, you'd better be able to answer a question like, "Etching a copper PC board with ferric chloride is an example of:  red-ox reaction or decomposition?"  Or you simply get told, to try again, when you're ready.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »
Hrm ... I have this idea, based on a flash game MPORG I play.  Basically, before you can use the /chat function in that game, you have to play this little "literacy test", where you prove that you can differentiate "you're" and "your"  and things like that.
Haha, KoL, oh my...memories.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 06:15:24 PM »
Arkcon idea may result in noone posting, and whether we like those "gimme gimme" and "cuz I dunno" or "please *delete me*" they are necessary on the forums so that they can grow.

Some kind of reminder about forum rules won't hurt (Mitch: seems like there is still no forum rules page). There is a pretty good aproach at physicsforums.com - whoever tries to start a new thread in homework forum is forced tu use a template (see attachement).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 06:21:46 PM »
whoever tries to start a new thread in homework forum is forced tu use a template (see attachement).

Very nice.  That would be more helpful, and more user friendly.  The KOL method is more funny, and forces people to think about what they're doing ...

Haha, KoL, oh my...memories.

I should realize someday, that nothing is obscure on the internet.

The ghost of the English language looks up at you.

"You have already proven yourself literate! Go forth, then, and avenge my death!"
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:27:08 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 04:04:48 PM »
Good idea Borek!

I have seen many same topic(eg.calculating pH, limiting reagent) but the questions just phrased it indirectly or differently. Is there any way to lead them to a website to learn about the topic before they post? Perhaps after they read up like Chembuddy they understand the problems and do not have to post, instead of telling them "this is a problem of buffer.. refer to this website...." Well, i don't know perhaps some could not identify the topic the question is asking about.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 06:33:41 PM »
I want to bring this topic back up.  I think the idea for those users to fill out that template is a good idea.  Is this something that is worth adding, in terms of time required to implement it, for those that would have to deal with it?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 06:24:34 AM »
I think it would be a good idea, but only if people are willing to fill in the template. What's to stop people just ignoring it, and posting the question anyway (or worse, deleting the template, then posting the question)?

Yeah, I know, let's ignore the question in that case.

But then the forum stagnates, as people will see a lot of unanswered questions and may conclude that this is not a good place to talk chemistry, which I believe is not the case - I've learnt a fair bit over my time here and I doubt I'm alone.

Basically, I'm with Borek here. Problem is, as I see it, many just view rules and policies like EULAs, just something to click through and effectively ignore because their problem is "so important". Somehow we need to get over the mystique that every chemistry question is completely different to every other one, and in many cases the same principles can be used to solve many questions and educate people in those methods - a bit like Chembuddy. Part of the problem could be different syllabuses and order of coverage of material - I've brought this up before, and although the end result of secondary (high) school or a BSc in Chemistry ought to define a certain level of education in my opinion, there's no guarantee that part way through people have covered A, B and C even though by the end of it they ought to know about D, E and F.

People want answers yesterday, and in some cases will only post tomorrow to get them.

S

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »
I just registered at another simple machines forum and before I could register, I had to click that I'd read the forum rules.  Naturally, I didn't and just finished registering as fast as possible.

It didn't accept my registration. It said I didn't spend enough time reading the forum rules and I should register again.

Then when I got my confirmation email and logged in for the first time, it took me to the forum rules sticky and I had to navigate to the forum index manually.

Couple'a thoughts.  I don't remember what the registration policy is here, but those might be interesting suggestions.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links