March 28, 2024, 08:12:27 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 11B NMR  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Snake

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
11B NMR
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:40:28 AM »
Why in journals, for 11B NMR data they always state the chemical shift as well as the half-width of the signal.

my question is what does the half-width of the 11B NMR tell us? as in what significant information does it provide?

Offline Snake

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: 11B NMR
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:42:48 AM »
the previous post kinda came out wrongly =X so here is what i really wanted to type:

In literatures for 11B NMR data they always state the chemical shift as well as the half-width of the signal.

my question is what does the half-width of the 11B NMR tell us? as in what significant information does it provide?

Offline sanderol

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 08:10:37 AM »
H-bonding will make your signal broad, since your proton (assuming your talking about porton NMR) is not well defined. So it tells you something about that.

Don't  really know what else

Offline sanderol

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:13:48 AM »
Oeps cant even read right.

We'll in B-NMR you generally look at B-H coupling, so I guess the reasoning stated above can still be applied.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:56:34 AM »
The full width half max of a signal in NMR is related to the relaxation time of the signal (specifically the T2, or spin-spin, relaxation).  This can give you information if your nuclei undergoes any dynamic processes (e.g. tumbling in solution, chemical exchange (like hydrogen bonding), rotation, conformational dynamics, etc.).  I'm not sure what specific information from T2 relaxation is important for boron NMR, however.

Sponsored Links