March 28, 2024, 08:05:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: William ether synthesis procedure *delete me*!!!  (Read 3620 times)

Offline tiff8968

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
William ether synthesis procedure *delete me*!!!
« on: February 28, 2009, 05:41:49 PM »
I am trying to make 30mmol of benzyl t-butyl ether and im stuck.  i have been instructed not to use distillation because of the high boiling point of the oily product. Also ive been instructed to use threefold excess of tert-butoxide and a 30 min reflux. I know I need 30 mmol of each starting material.Can someone help me??? Does three fold excess mean three times tert-butoxide than

Offline lutesium

• Mole Snacks: +8/-24
Re: William ether synthesis procedure *delete me*!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:36:05 AM »
I am trying to make 30mmol of benzyl t-butyl ether and im stuck.  i have been instructed not to use distillation because of the high boiling point of the oily product. Also ive been instructed to use threefold excess of tert-butoxide and a 30 min reflux. I know I need 30 mmol of each starting material.Can someone help me??? Does three fold excess mean three times tert-butoxide than

What're you trying to achieve??? To synthesize the product only or isolate him too??? If the b.p. is the problem you can always make a vacuum distillation with a vigroux column if needed!!! 3 fold excess might mean different things as you refer!!! Is it:
1. Molar
2. Mass
3. Volume
I suppose that you refer to molar so:
You must use 90 mmols excess

Sponsored Links