April 29, 2024, 01:24:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: need help figuring out what my compound is  (Read 5489 times)

chanman1

need help figuring out what my compound is
« on: May 11, 2005, 01:18:23 AM »
So I'm trying to determine what an unknown compound is. I know what it is because I looked up and compared IR's of the possible compounds, but I need to prove it some other way. What's known is that the compound is that it's a liquid amine and it's MP is 198C give or take 5 degrees. I performed a neutralization equivalent on it and found that it's MW is roughly 121. From these facts I've narrowed my possibility down to the following:

1-Amino-1-Phenylethane
N,N-Dimethylaniline
2-Amino-1-Phenylethane

All of these have MW of 121. I used the Nitrous Acid test and the IR to determine that my compound is an amine. The following tests probably don't matter, but I'll list them anyway. Negative Belstein Test; Negative 2,4-DNP Test; Negative Chromic Acid test; and Positive Ignition Test.

I've tried to make a benzamide derivative but did not have any luck, 4 times. I also could not make the Acetamide derivative either. I need some help with any possible way to distinguish the above 3 compounds from each other. Are there any other tests I could perform? Is there anyway to distinguish the 3 aside from making derivatives? Thanks in advance.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re:need help figuring out what my compound is
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 01:53:23 AM »
MP is 198C
It is boiling point not melting point

How you distinguish teriary amine from primary ones?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 01:56:38 AM by AWK »
AWK

chanman1

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 02:12:35 AM »
A tertiary amine would not react, or if it did would react as an secondary amine, in the nitrous acid test. From my nitrous acid test I found that it could be a primary aromatic amine, which points more toward the other two.

How can I distinguish the other two apart?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 03:48:48 AM »
But primary amines form acetamides and benzamides.
N,N-dimethyl aniline also reacts with HNO2 to form 4-nitroso derivative
AWK

Garneck

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 05:18:48 AM »
You should do a Hinsberg test. Tertiary amines don't give a positive result.

And a 1H NMR spectrum would be useful if you would have to determine if it's one of those phenylenate amines.

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 08:10:45 AM »
I would take a good look at the IR again.  You should immediately be able to rule out N,N-dimethylaniline based upon wheter NH2 absorptions are present in the IR (dimethylaniline as no NH bonds)- unless you are confusing it with 3,5-dimethyl aniline, in which case you can use aromatic absorptions to distinguish.  The fine structure of the IR (i.e. methyl group stretching etc at 1377 cm-1) might allow you to distinguish the remaining two since one has a methyl group and a methine group and the other has two methylene groups.  See "Spectroscopic Identification of Organic Compounds" - Silverstein etc. and focus in on the C-H absorptions which are generally overlooked.

dexangeles

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 03:14:28 AM »
hmmmm funny, that's the same final lab I did in the last weeks

Sponsored Links