March 28, 2024, 08:16:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Anyone done the DAAD Rise program?  (Read 34724 times)

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
Re: Anyone done the DAAD Rise program?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 12:46:38 AM »
Good luck!  What type of project?

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 12:48:34 AM »
Thanks!  All gold catalysis stuff, slight variances by group - e.g. enantioselective catalysis in one, cyclization catalysis in another

What city were you in, may I ask?  Were you able to travel at all?  Would really like to make a trip to Dachau while there (assuming I'm accepted obviously).

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »
Oh, one more q - how long did it take your app to get confirmed and submitted to the actual groups you were applying to?

Offline kornellster

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 06:04:02 PM »
Since we are ranked by GPA, it will probably be easy to asses my chances of getting in, provided those of you who had taken part tell me what grades you had. If I'm certain my chances are slim I will try elsewhere... Those of you who were accepted, what grades did you have?
I'm at a UK university with GPA 76%, probably 3.7 US equivalent? I'm a physics student, do you think GPAs of chemical and physics students vary greatly?   

Thanks for any info ;D

Offline pagenguyen

• Very New Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
I don't think the grade would vary between physics and chemistry thou. But it would make a difference if your grading system is 4.3 instead of 4  :)

By the way, I am an applicant too. Nice to see you guys! ;D

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2010, 02:17:45 AM »
Good luck to you!  Unless you're applying to my groups, then die.

;D

Offline pagenguyen

• Very New Member
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
lol I bet not. All of my projects are in biochemical field. Anyways, thanks a lot! Good luck to you too!

Offline Grundalizer

• Mole Snacks: +19/-31
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 07:51:28 PM »
Good luck to you!  Unless you're applying to my groups, then die.

hahaha that had me laughing.  I heard back about a week ago that I was not accepted.  I applied to 2 phD students in the same Lab of Dr. Thomas Bein at Ludwigs Maximillian university in Munich, and another guy in Mainz germany.  I wanted to study semiconductor stuff...materials science.  I have about a 3.9 Chemistry GPA, but only a 3.4 overalll...and they do rank you by that.  I talked to a girl who also applied (on the Facebook DAAD 2010 group) and she said she was ranked 246th with a GPA of 3.96.  So needless to say, I wasn't anywhere close to the top 400-500 that MIGHT get funded.  Sucks.  Makes you want to work that much harder, but also makes you depressed...because I can never apply to that program again, you can only do it when you are a sophmore or junior undergrad....

oh well, life goes on

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »
My condolences.  I applied to 3 students within the same group at University of Heidelberg and was rejected to all.  My PI at my home institution is looking into an alternative group for me, so we'll see how that plays out, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Offline Grundalizer

• Mole Snacks: +19/-31
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 11:33:19 PM »
Well we can share in our sorrows.  "They're loss!" as my professor would say...or said.  Where there is a will, there is a way.  I won't be giving up on going to Germany that easily...would have just been nice to have it all payed for.  What's your deal?  You an undergrad somewhere?  You want to be in Germany too?  Thanks for telling me about 408 I might PM him.

Offline nj_bartel

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 02:36:36 AM »
You sound like the exact applicant they're looking to attract, they're missing out indeed.  PM might be necessary, not sure he can post.  I'm a junior in undergrad applying to med school this year, but will hopefully be taking a year off to teach high school chem.  Was going to use this summer as a last exploration of interest in MD/PhD combined degree.  Needless to say, I'm not the exact applicant they're looking to attract.  Oh well, c'est la vie

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 07:16:56 AM »
I am still aware of this thread, and can post from work when not doing chemistry.  I just cannot post from home.  PM is best so I can reply on my own time.

Sponsored Links