April 27, 2024, 11:27:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Water quality tests  (Read 3421 times)

Offline masi10

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Water quality tests
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:48:42 PM »
I'm a college student who is taking organic chemistry courses and have to perform a class lab experiment that the entire class must participate in.  I want to have the class perform tests for water quality.  These tests will include testing standard tap water versus some name brand bottled water.  I'm not sure what I should test for, such as common elements that are normally tested by water quality companies.  I'd also appreciate some help on what chemicals or reagents I will need to perform these tests and how to perform them.  Any help to point me in the right direction would be great.  I have all the chemical resources needed as long as I provide a detailed list of materials, and experiment procedures to my professor before hand.  Thanks.

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Water quality tests
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:35:23 PM »
It's not really a water quality test, as it is a water purity test, but you could do things like determine various metal ion concentrations, test they pH, etc.

Offline masi10

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:17:42 AM »
ok. water purity.  Does anyone know what tests I could do other than pH.  pH is not an adequate test for us to use our organic chemistry knowledge.  I'm looking for possibly a test for bromine or presence of chlorine and iron.  But specifically want to know how to test for them and what the reactions mechanisms are that are taking place during these test.  Thanks.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:35:10 AM »
It is very likely your water company tells it's customers frequently what the levels of various pollutants are, and what the maximum allowable is.  You get these once a year, or once every couple of years.  You can see it online, perhaps.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline masi10

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:34:09 AM »
arkcon thanks for the response.  I understand that I can receive the information but I explained in detail in my first post what I am looking to accomplish.  You're suggestions are helpfully but not in my situation. thanks anyways.

Sponsored Links