April 27, 2024, 07:39:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Purification of N-Heterocyclic carbene precursor  (Read 2968 times)

Offline johnpinecone

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Purification of N-Heterocyclic carbene precursor
« on: March 04, 2009, 07:23:37 PM »
Hi everyone, new to the forum so forgive me if i make any mistakes!

I'm currently in my 5th and final year of my undergraduate degree and am working on my final project. Im synthesising a new N-Heterocyclic carbene ligand for an enantioselective isomerisation reaction. Though I have reached a bit of a snag at the purification stage. The scheme should be shown below (assuming its worked). The proton NMR of my imidazolium salt products is showing  impurities which i just cant seem to get rid of. I suspect this is due to a small imidazole impurity due to the characteristic peak around 10.5. Any attempts to column have been unsuccessful as the compounds are just too polar - no solvent system seems to work. The literature claims they cleaned it up by column at the salt stage though did not publish any solvent system. I was just wondering if there are any old hands who are familiar with either removing imidazole or working with a similar sort of thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline cundi

• Mole Snacks: +11/-3
Re: Purification of N-Heterocyclic carbene precursor
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 02:15:35 AM »
Have you try a reverse phase purification?
It is just a suggestion.

Good luck, with your final project.
It seems to be interesting.

Offline alphahydroxy

• Mole Snacks: +7/-6
  • I'm a lumberjack, and I'm OK !
Re: Purification of N-Heterocyclic carbene precursor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:11:09 AM »
yeah, if you can't get anywhere with say 10-15% methanol in ethyl acetate, I'd go down to the chromatography folks and see what they can do with reverse phase HPLC...

Sponsored Links