April 25, 2024, 01:50:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Organic Chemist's Dream  (Read 24434 times)

Offline robvba

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Organic Chemist's Dream
« on: March 06, 2009, 05:25:54 PM »
Suppose you are captured and placed in a medieval castle that is surrounded by a moat filled with reptiles of unusual size (ROUS). If you can make pentanoic acid, then you can pour it into the moat, kill the reptiles, and swim to safety (I'm presuming you can swim, if not, then it's time to learn). In your castle you have found a door that say's "Merlin's Room" and inside there is a well-equipped lab that has a vented hood with bottles of THF, H2SO4, HBr, NaOH, NaNH2, 1-butanol, ethanol, every metal, pig's ear, cow's tongue, eye of a newt, and a green laser pointer (I love those things). Of course you have access to heat, light, anything in the air, and water from the moat. Show how you would make pentanoic acid. You need to make it fast. There's no food or potable water in the castle. And your captors smashed your cell phone.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: Organic Chemist's Dream
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 06:15:22 PM »
You need to provide some indication that you've given this problem some thought.

Offline robvba

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »
our product consists of five carbons. we have immediate access to a chain of four carbons and two carbons. synthesis would produce a chain of six carbons, or four carbons if we synthesize two ethanols. we need to remove one carbon. need some help here.
we could use animals parts to separate the fats (glycerol and fatty acid) but not sure how or if that would produce anything.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:28:03 AM »
What ways do you know to remove carbons?  That is, what reactions do you know that can break carbon-carbon bonds?
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline robvba

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »
What ways do you know to remove carbons?  That is, what reactions do you know that can break carbon-carbon bonds?
I know the haloform reaction, but it doesnt look like we have any chlorine

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 11:56:20 AM »
Good start.  You're right, though, I don't think we need the haloform to complete this synthesis.  Can you go back through the functional groups you've learned about to see if there are any other reactions to fragment molecules into pieces?  You've shown that methyl ketones can be used to break carbon-carbon bonds.  What else?
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline James Newby

• Mole Snacks: +13/-3
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »
pour HBr into the moat, wait for the reptiles to die, neutralise with the NaOH then swim to safety ;)
4th year undergraduate at the University of Sheffield

Offline robvba

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 01:50:38 PM »
Good start.  You're right, though, I don't think we need the haloform to complete this synthesis.  Can you go back through the functional groups you've learned about to see if there are any other reactions to fragment molecules into pieces?  You've shown that methyl ketones can be used to break carbon-carbon bonds.  What else?

ozonolysis and carbon dioxide is not at our disposal as far as i can tell. i dont recall any other.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 02:05:32 PM »
If you can't use ozonolysis (which is what I would have suggested), then you should at least be able to dihydroxylate/cleave.  I think the question is a cute way of saying 'using butanol, ethanol, and any inorganic reagents...'

Offline robvba

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 02:49:20 PM »
If you can't use ozonolysis (which is what I would have suggested), then you should at least be able to dihydroxylate/cleave.  I think the question is a cute way of saying 'using butanol, ethanol, and any inorganic reagents...'

unless we can use the laser pointer with oxygen in the air to make ozone. i'm just not sure how we can isolate the ozone.

dihydroxylate? not familiar with it. how would that work?

Offline robvba

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »

unless we can use the laser pointer with oxygen in the air to make ozone. i'm just not sure how we can isolate the ozone.

dihydroxylate? not familiar with it. how would that work?

can someone please help

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »

Offline robvba

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 07:48:13 PM »
start here:

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtTxtJml/addene2.htm#add4b

if we're talking about KMnO4 or O3, what i dont know is how to isolate these reagents for our reaction. If you read the above, we do not have these reagens readitly available. we do have the metals, but not permanganate or ozone.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 07:59:31 PM »
in my opinion, 'every metal' means that you can use any inorganic reagent (like OsO4).  You should check with your prof, though. 

If you really don't have inorganic metal complexes (like vOsO4), then I don't see a way to do it with the small amt of reagents you have.  you can get to a Grignard, which I think you'll need, but I don't see how you do an oxidation (which you'll need at some point) with just those reagents.

Offline robvba

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 08:04:50 PM »
in my opinion, 'every metal' means that you can use any inorganic reagent (like OsO4).  You should check with your prof, though. 

If you really don't have inorganic metal complexes (like vOsO4), then I don't see a way to do it with the small amt of reagents you have.  you can get to a Grignard, which I think you'll need, but I don't see how you do an oxidation (which you'll need at some point) with just those reagents.

i'll have to ask about that. however, is it not possible to react laser pointer with oxygen to get ozone?

Sponsored Links