March 29, 2024, 04:09:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does a chem degree pay off?  (Read 27442 times)

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Does a chem degree pay off?
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:49:09 PM »
I have gotten back my A level result yesterday and after making lots of choices, like most of you here, i have decided to go for a chemistry degree. I'm entering National Service next friday and i couldn't attend university booths for all the informations so i have to choose a course right now, quite hastily but ye. I'm wondering is there any high pay jobs with a chemistry degree? So far i heard from my teachers and relatives a chemistry degree could work as teachers/researchers. I know it has many more like food science technician. My other choices were accountacy, environmetal engineering and bioengineering. I really think they are really good pay jobs but isn't my interest. It sounds bit like prospect vs pay but then it would be good to have it both but i don't know if you can get the latter with a chemistry degree. As i will only be entering the workforce 6 years later, would a chemistry degree still makes a good one?
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: Does a chem degree pay off?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »
Honestly, my understanding of it is all second-hand, but i'll pass on what I've heard.

Base salaries for post-doc seem to hover around 60-80k annually, depending on whether you go into the industry or decide to teach (with higher pay in industry).  Your wages in either case can increase substantially based on the grants that you get and the success that you have with your research.  About 200k seems to be the very upper range, with about 90-120k annually being what you can reasonably eventually hope to make.

Hope this information is good.

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »
Thanks for the information. My mum said i would probably stuck my entire life in a lab if i can't synthesize something useful out of it. She was joking but is chemistry all about research in a lab? I don't think i would do until phD. The most would be a master degree.
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:15:58 PM »
I'll stop talking here - I Arkon might be of considerable help to you if I'm thinking of the right person.  Pretty sure he's working with a masters right now.

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:32:45 PM »
Thanks nj_bartel :)

Offline James Newby

• Mole Snacks: +13/-3
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 05:43:07 AM »
A chemistry degreee teaches you to to think in a logical way, problem solve, work to deadlines, handle dangerous chemicals safely.... the list goes on.  Also you can prove you have the mental toughness to learn a lot of material, then apply it in an exam.

Many chemists go on to be successful in many different fields.  The guy who got kicked out of University Challenge was a chemistry graduate but had already started an accountancy job.

Any core subject degree will set you up.  Just do something you are interested in otherwise it'll be a long 3/4 years at Uni. 
4th year undergraduate at the University of Sheffield

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »
After discussion with parents, i will be taking chemistry in college and ACCA outside the curriculum.

thanks all!

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 05:36:42 AM »
Australasian Cemeteries and Crematoria Association
American Cave Conservation Association
Association of Canadian Court Administrators
Air Conditioning Contractors of America
Arizona Concrete Contractors Association
Australian Centre for Contemporary Art
American College Counseling Association
Arizona Community College Association
Annandale Christian Community for Action
American College of Cardiovascular Administrators
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
Addictions Care Center of Albany
American Contract Compliance Association
Alberta Community and Cooperative Association
Association of Christian College Athletics
Australian Crohn`s and Colitis Association

Hmmmm..
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 11:44:01 AM »
Had a lmao!

Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
It is this because parents(o well my mum) are pretty much against me going science.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 11:56:12 AM »
My mom got talked into being a CPA by her dad (who was also a CPA, and so was her sister), and didn't follow her true passion.  She has always regretted it.

This is your future, this is what you are going to be doing as a career.  Don't do something your parents want, just to appease them.

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 12:05:07 PM »

Dear Astrokel;

Please tell me the argument against going science!
I worked a few times 10 years for R & D in different fields: Chemistry, Physics, Programming, etc.

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »
macman104, i agree with you and that's what i am doing right now. I'm in with this idea after accomodation with them. I will still pursue my interest in Chemistry, definitely.

ARGOS++, I have nothing against the science. My parents wish that i could do something business related so i could work under them in the future. In fact most of my relatives are in finance sector. Accounting is the most i could accept. I don't think i will be able to do marketing, business admin and so on...just not me.

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 05:01:31 PM »
macman104, i agree with you and that's what i am doing right now. I'm in with this idea after accomodation with them. I will still pursue my interest in Chemistry, definitely.

ARGOS++, I have nothing against the science. My parents wish that i could do something business related so i could work under them in the future. In fact most of my relatives are in finance sector. Accounting is the most i could accept. I don't think i will be able to do marketing, business admin and so on...just not me.

In the UK more graduate chemists end up as accountants than any other alternate profession. I also have a half-cousin who completed a medical degree then went into accountancy.  ???
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 11:51:48 PM »
How are you gonna do it without a business certificate?

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-9
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 01:57:31 AM »
I agree with macman104. Do/study what you like and are interested in, chances are that you are also good at it. You will be noticed if you are good at what you do (and like it too) and all the other stuff (i.e. money, recognition, whatever you deem as success) usually falls into place. I know of a colleague who has a masters in chem engineering but who turned down a grad school spot at Berkeley to teach at a CC. He is not rich - yet - (but that might not be his definition of success) but he is still young and very good at what he does and most importantly (IMHO) very happy with his life.   

In the US, a science degree (esp engineering) with an  MBA  - masters in business administration - (or whatever your country's equivalent is) is very versatile ...there are no limits to how high you can go, at least in industry.  Don't rule out a Ph.D. so early though, research is different for everyone, you could get a fascinating project with lots of papers with a great supervisor (optimism doesn't hurt) -  and the degree gives you the most options. 

Australasian Cemeteries and Crematoria Association
American Cave Conservation Association
Association of Canadian Court Administrators
Arizona Concrete Contractors Association

Australian Crohn`s and Colitis Association

Hmmmm..

funny!  ;)

Sponsored Links